A combination of two of the most famous steakhouse desserts -- cheesecake and Key lie pie, these Mini Key Lime Cheesecakes are perfect for serving at events where there will be a lot of other desserts. People love them because they are cheesecake, but also because they are grab-and-go which makes them that much harder to resist.
Because they are cheesecakes and not actual Key lime pies, these little gems are not too tart. If you really love tartness and lime, I suggest doubling the lime zest or sneaking in a little lime oil or extract. I'm partial to the Boyajian flavored oils, as they taste very natural. As for the crust, I make it it with graham crackers, but Gingersnaps would be a great substitution.
Mini Key Lime Cheesecakes are also perfect because they freeze well. Make them ahead of time, then put them in a freezer bag and keep frozen until you're ready to serve them or carry them along to an event. Don't forget the whipped cream and cherries. Stemmed Maraschino cherries, which you can usually find at liquor stores, add a little more drama then regular Maraschino cherries.
Mini Key Lime Flavored Cheesecakes
- 1 ½ cup graham cracker crumbs from about 23 squares
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup regular salted butter melted
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup of condensed milk ⅓ of a 14 oz can
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- ¼ cup Key lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- ½ tablespoon flour
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Stemmed cherries or lime slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- Mix together crumbs, sugar and butter and divide evenly among cupcake liners. Press down to form crusts.
- Prepare Filling: Beat the cream cheese, condensed milk and sugar until smooth. Beat in lime zest, lime juice and vanilla. Stir in the egg. When egg is fully blended, stir in the flour.
- Divide the batter evenly among the mini pie crusts and bake for 25 minutes or until the cakes appear set (if they crack, it’s okay). Let cool at room temperature, then chill for several hours or until very cold.
- Top with whipped cream and a stemmed cherry or slice of lime.