Last week’s Marble Rye was such a hit with my family that I took it one step further (or in this case darker) and made two loaves of German Dark Rye. Made with a combination of rye flour and bread flour along with molasses, cocoa and caraway, this bread has all the characteristics I was looking for.
The recipe is from the back of the Hodgson Mill Rye Flour bag. You can make is as two large loaves or you can halve it and make 1 large loaf or 2 smaller round loaves. I made 2 smaller size loaves perfect for serving with dinner. Here’s the recipe as I made it. Keep an eye on it as it bakes, as it’s easy to burn the top.
German Dark Rye
- 1 cup water warm, 100-115 degrees F
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 3/4 cups Hodgson Mill Rye Flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Hodgson Mill Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon Caraway Seeds optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 cups bread flour
- Put water, brown sugar and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer. Stir well, then let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Add molasses, rye flour, vital wheat gluten, cocoa and caraway seeds. Beat well, then let sit for ten minutes. Mix in melted butter and salt.
- Mix in 1 cup of the bread flour and stir until well blended, then stir in enough extra bread flour to make a soft dough. Attach dough hook and let the machine knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to an oiled bowl and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and divide it into two pieces or leave as 1. Shape into two balls or make 1 big ball. Set them side by side (or by itself if making 1) on a parchment lined pan. Cover (I use two overturned mixing bowls) and let rise for another hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Bake the loaves for about 20 minutes, being careful not to let the top get too brown. If you are making 1 loaf, it will take about 25 minutes. To test of the bread is done, stick a meat thermometer in the bread and make sure it registers at least 205 F. Let cool completely.