Jumbo Double Chocolate Cookies were created as a way to use some ingredients already on hand. What happened was I was in the middle of making chocolate frosting for cupcakes, then changed my mind and decided I wanted chocolate cookies instead. Since I’d already mixed together the butter, confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder, I had to build the rest of the recipe around those ingredients.
Jumbo Double Chocolate — The Cornstarch
Great results! The cornstarch in the confectioners’ sugar helps give the cookies a wrinkly, cracked look which I like, and the texture is good. The cookies are chewy, dense and soft. You can leave the cookies as is, or jazz them up a bit with a drizzle of chocolate plus some M&Ms.
Tip: The dough is pretty stiff, so it helps to use a stand mixer. Also, the recipe halves well should you only need 12 jumbo size cookies.
Jumbo Double Chocolate
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature (228 grams)
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar (230 grams) weigh for accuracy
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar (160 grams)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coffee extract or instant espresso powder
- 2 large large eggs, room temperature 90 to 100 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (260 grams) fluff and aerate before measuring
- 10 oz chopped chocolate use semisweet, dark, milk or whatever you like
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add the confectioners’ sugar gradually and beat until smooth, scraping sides of the bowl, then add the brown sugar, cocoa powder and extracts and beat until smooth.
- Add the eggs and stir or mix on low until they are mixed in, then beat on high until light and fluffy (about a minute). Sprinkle the baking soda and salt into the batter and then beat until thoroughly blended. Add the flour and stir, do not beat, until blended. Stir in the chocolate.
- Dough will be thick and heavy. Scrape it out onto a large sheet of wax or parchment paper and then form into a lump. Divide lump into 24 or 32 equal size pieces. Wrap pieces in wax paper and chill until ready to bake or bake immediately.
- Put mounds of dough on a heavy duty baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Allow about 3 inches of space for spreading.
- Bake at 325 degrees F. for about 15 to18 minutes. Cookies should puff up and will fall a bit as they cool. Allow them to cool for about five minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.