Jumbo Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are giant banana and chocolate chip muffins made in a Texas size (as I like to say) or jumbo muffin pan. This kind of pan usually has only six muffin cups and makes huge 3 ½ inch muffins. Here's an example of one.
The only real change I've made to this recipe over the years is to add about a teaspoon of vanilla extract. If you like the cinnamon and chocolate combo, a pinch or two of cinnamon would work.
Jumbo Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Notes
This recipe calls for salted butter. If you use unsalted, add about ⅜ teaspoon of salt to the batter. For the flour, it's always best to weigh it, but you can measure just by volume if you want. This recipe is difficult to mess up! If you want a really brown crust, skip the paper liners and line the muffin cups with butter. And finally, how ripe should your bananas be? The riper the banana, the sweeter the muffin. The original recipe only calls for 2, but you could probably get away with an extra half a banana.
Jumbo Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 stick salted butter, softened (114 grams)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (260 grams)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- About a cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Line 8 jumbo muffin tins with liners.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until creamy. Add the eggs and beat for another minute. Stir in the bananas, vanilla and buttermilk.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and soda; gradually add flour mixture to banana mixture, stirring just until blended. Stir in the chocolate chips. Divide batter evenly among muffin tins.
- Set muffins on center rack of oven and close door.
- Bake muffins at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- REDUCE oven heat to 375 degrees F. and bake muffins at 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Makes 8 Jumbo Muffins
- *********If using unsalted butter, add ⅜ tsp. salt