Chewy Chocolate Macaroons

For those of you who haven’t picked up a copy of the August Cooking Light, here’s the recipe for the macaroons. I paraphrased a bit, but I think my abbreviated directions are accurate.

I have to admit, I cheated a little and used regular condensed milk because that was all I had around the house. I also add a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. The results are great! The cookies are very chewy – almost candy-like and intensely chocolate. Todd and I both liked them a lot. Next time I’ll try making them with the fat free condensed milk.

cookinglightchocmacaroons.jpg

Chewy Chocolate Macaroons

2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
½ cup sifted cake flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups lightly packed flaked sweetened coconut
1 teaspoonvanilla extract
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk

Preheat oven to 250°. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
Melt unsweetened chocolate in microwave. Spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with knife. Combine flour, cocoa powder and salt. Add coconut to flour mixture and toss well. Stir in melted chocolate, vanilla and condensed milk.
Drop the batter by level tablespoons 2 inches apart onto a baking sheet. Bake at 250° for 45 minutes. Cool 10 minutes on pan or rack

Yield: 32 cookies (serving size: 1 cookie)

Comments

1. Anonymous says

You are a life saver! I lost this recipe from the August issue of cooking light. I have had people tell me these are the best cookies they have ever had.Thanks for posting this great recipe. My cookie exchange will appreciate as well.Happy Holidays

2. Anonymous says

Your post (Chewy Chocolate Macaroons) was on target for cooking lobster recipe. It’s interesting to know that many people don’t understand cooking lobster recipe, good job. What I would like to see is more info on cooking lobster recipe and cooking lobster recipe. Any post you make on cooking lobster recipe in the future will be well received.

3. Annie says

Your pic looks like there were chocolate chips in the cookies. Is that just a trick of the light?

4. Anna says

Hi Annie,

No. It’s not a trick of light. I was going through this phase where I put chocolate chips into everything. So yes, there are some chips there.

5. Angie says

These are great! I made them to bring to a Christmas party (every cookie/dessert buffet needs a good macaroon) and I made them for dinner guests tonight. They were a hit both times! Love these and they come together VERY easily.

Thanks

6. renee says

thank you so much i haven’t had or heard of these cookies in 20 years and tried to find it and finally after this long i have.We always called these cookies spider cookies thats why i could find them i guess but thank you.

7. Kerry says

These cookies look really good but takes a long time in the oven. Can you bake them at 350 for 10 minutes like regular cookies or will it ruin the texture?

8. Michelle says

I never thought these could be so delicious and turn out so perfect!
    I had to make some last minute sweets tonight for a meeting tomorrow. They are the perfect amount for a party or big group. Thank you so much for this recipe….I love it!