Chocolate Drop Quickies

These are called “Chocolate Drop Quickies”. They are cousins to the old “Boiled Cookies” or “Amish Funeral Cookies”. Unlike the others, these cookies do not contain peanut butter.

This version of the recipe was sent to me by Sandra, who works for NASA.

Below is a picture I took of the cookies and Sandra’s version of the recipe. For another version of boiled cookies, click the link and check out my friend Jaay’s blog. You’ll have to scroll down a bit for her recipe, which is the traditional peanut butter version. Jaay’s version was given to her by her grandmother. This is one very old recipe.

A few notes. If you are vegan, you can make these with soy milk. For the nuts, it’s best to toast them and cool them. And finally, this recipe can be easily halved. I made a half batch.

boiledcookiesoneplate 001.jpg

Chocolate Drop Quickies

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk
3 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 tsp vanilla

Mix sugar, butter, cocoa and milk in saucepan. Bring to boil quickly. Reduce heat to medium and boil 3-4 mins or until a little dropped into cold water forms a soft ball (234 degrees). Remove from heat; stir in oats, nuts and vanilla. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper; let stand until hardened. Store in refrigerator, if desired. Makes about 3 doz. cookies.

Comments

1. Anna says

Personally, I think boiling is more of a hassle than baking. They were quick, though.I like your screen name :).

These are in perhaps every church cookbook ever – often, yes, as No Bake Cookies or Boiled Cookies. I remember learning to make them in 8th grade Home Ec!

3. Gigi says

I used to make these waaaay back in the day when I was Fuzz’s age! My personal favorite was the Peanut Butter No Bakes (without chocolate).I haven’t thought about those in years – thanks for the memories! I might have to make a batch so I can properly reminisce.

I made these with the peanut butter on Sunday. One hint…do not make them when it is humid because they won’t set up properly. I found this out the hard way.I love your blog! I heard it mentioned on the Food Network and now have you in my favorites! My daughter just turned 5 and is going to Kindergarten next year. She also loves to cook with me. Can’t wait to read more about you and “Fuzz”!

5. Anna says

Wow, it sounds like the peanut butter version is quite popular. I’ll have to try those too. I’m pretty anxious to hear how these went over today at my husband’s office….and whether or not he told people they were called “quickies”.

6. Anna says

Reviews are in. I sent these cookies to work with Todd and a lot of people said thank you for taking them back to either 1) their home ec class or 2) the kitchen with their mom. One person even told Todd the story of how she was a latchkey kid and how this was the only recipe she could make real quick without using the oven.

7. KAnn says

My grandmother’s recipe was identical except instead of nuts, you add one cup of coconut…I love them! We also call them Grandma’s No-Bake cookies.

8. sandra says

you’re right Brenda….these cookies tend to be temperamental and don’t like humid days…I have had this recipe so long I don’t even remember where (or who) I got it from.

9. Chanelle says

I love these cookies so much. In our family we call them Chocolate Drop Quickies, too.
    Only I usually call them Chocolate Drop Cookies. It’s my personal issue with the word “quickie.”

Seriously, I am SO addicted to these.
    I should never make them, because I always want to eat all of them.

Hi Chanelle,

Boy, this is an old recipe. Thanks for bringing it to my attention because it needs a new photo.

Chocolate Drop Cookies sounds so serious. Maybe you could call them “CDQs” ;).

11. Ace says

Ah, memories :) Our family has a long history of always requiring to double the recipe; how can one report a yield of 3 dozen when the “batter” is so ooey gooey delicious? A little over half would actually make it to the wax paper to form up, and they never sat around waiting to be eaten. My g-ma always called ‘em Quickies too, but never thought to add the nuts – great idea!

12. LAG says

This is my favorite childhood cookie recipe and I wanted to make it for a 4th of July party but couldn’t find my copy of the recipe. (Actually, my friend and I made them so often I thought I’d never forget it so I may not have a written copy). Anyway, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

13. BECKY says

THESE COOKIES MY GRANDMOTHER GOT OUT OF BETTER HOMES AND GARDEN COOKBOOK. I AM 58 YEARS OLD AND HAVE HAD THESE COOKIES SINCE I WAS A LITTLE GIRL. WE LIVED ON A RANCH IN CALIFORNIA. MY SISTER RENAME THEM TIRD COOKIES, CAUSE THEY LOOKED LIKE A COW PIE. LOL SURE DON’T TAKE THE SAME AS COW PIES. THEY ARE QUICK, EASY, AND TASTES GREAT. SECERT IS DON’T COOK TO LONG AS THEY TEND TO CRYSTALIZE AND DRY OUT. ENJOY MY FAMILY ALWAY DOES.

14. Simoy says

I love these cookies! They are so quick and easy! But in my family they have always been called ‘Bear Turds’. I like using coconut instead of the nuts but I’ve never used peanut butter. It’s something I just might try next time. My favorite part is you don’t have to turn on the oven, especially when you want a chocolate fix on those hot summer days. Thanks for reminding me about these yummy cookies… forget housework, I think I’ll drop down some Bear Turds!

15. Sherie says

I lost my Better Crocker cookbook that had this cookie and I have been looking for it for months. Thank you so much for allowing me to make a family favorite with so many memories attached. I have send many of these overseas to family in the military and they are always welcomed by them and their friends. Thank you again.