Spicy Applesauce Bundt Cake

by on November 15, 2006 · 15 comments

Today I felt like making something simple and homey.

hanleycake.jpg

Applesauce Spice Bundt Cake

3 cups all purpose flour (I used White Lily)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon allspice
2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup granulated sugar, packed
1 egg
2 cups applesauce
1 cup coarsely chopped and toasted pecans
1 cup golden raisins (optional)
Confectioner’s Sugar for dusting top

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. If using a black bundt cake pan, preheat to 325 degrees F. Spray a 10 inch (12 cup) bundt pan with Pam for Baking or another good flour-added cooking spray.

Stir together flour, soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice.

In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and both sugars. Beat on high until creamy. Beat in egg. Stir in applesauce. By hand, stir in flour mixture until it is fully incorporated. Stir in pecans and raisins (if using).

Pour into bundt pan and bake cake until it is done. This should take anywhere from 60 to 70 minutes. To test for doneness, poke a wooden skewere or toothpick in cake. If it comes out clean, it is done.

Let it cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then turn from pan and let cool completely. Before serving, sift confectioners’ sugar over top.

Published on November 15, 2006

Joe November 15, 2006 at 7:39 pm

Good for you on making a Bundt cake on National Bundt Cake Day! I didn’t plan ahead far enough to do so… I’ll be interested to hear what you think of the texture with using White Lily!

mary November 15, 2006 at 7:45 pm

I looovvve that cardamom is supposed to make you feel good about your body. I’m going to start putting it in my coffee.

tg November 16, 2006 at 12:24 am

i could swear i read somewhere that nov 15 is “bundt cake day”

Anna November 16, 2006 at 8:03 am

Wow! I did not consciously set out to bake a cake on Bundt Cake day. Perhaps some compartment in my brain had stored the date so I made it without knowing why? I’m serving up the cake today and will report back.

Mary, you could put it in your coffee or your could start drinking chai. Cardamom is one of the main spices (along with ginger and cinnamon) in chai.

Jackie November 16, 2006 at 8:39 am

I heard that Martha did a segment about Bundt cakes on her show on Bundt Cake Day. I plan on checking out her site as I hear there are some good recipes. Not that I really need more recipes now that I’ve found cookiemadness.net! As usual your cake looks great.

I sympathize with your shoe problem. I have big feet too.

tg November 16, 2006 at 8:44 am

ha, DUH, i missed joe’s comment… wotta dope. so hey, did you hear that it was BUNDT CAKE DAY?

p.s. i liked the pic of the cookbook. those little touches are great. were it a different blog, i’d request pix of the SHOES too

Sara W. November 16, 2006 at 9:09 am

Ok Missy, I have checked out your blog in depth and am very impressed with your baking skills, creativity and curiosity for new and innovative recipes. Now I must ask you this? How muhdear do you manage to stay trim with all of these delicious baked goods floating around in your house?? You sound like a good person to ask for weight management tips because you must have uber-control!

Jen November 16, 2006 at 11:42 am

Cardamom is excellent with anything apple!

I’ll be curious about the White Lily, too. It was on sale the other day and I picked up a bag thinking I could just sub it willy-nilly in my cake recipes. Hope that’s the case!

Anna November 16, 2006 at 12:13 pm

Jackie, I am glad Martha recognized Bundt Cake day. See, the Bundt Cake revival has begun…

T, did you hear the news? Yesterday was Bundt Cake day!! ;)

Hi Sara, thanks for checking out the blog. I’m writing a book with all my diet secrets, so stay tuned. Just kidding. My secret is really boring — I eat everything, but in small portions. Also, before I eat cookies, I eat a full meal with lots of protein and vegetables. I save the carbs for dessert (cookies). My overall diet is kind of like The Zone, but with a few cookies thrown in. I also walk a lot.

I’m joining a new gym today — a Lance Armstrong venture. He’s supposed to be there this evening so it’s going to be packed.

Jen, I’ll be interested in hearing what you have to say about the White Lily.

T. Martin November 16, 2006 at 4:24 pm

May try this one just so I can use some of the cardamom I have.

Anna, do you measure applesauce as a solid or liquid?

Jackie November 16, 2006 at 4:47 pm

Anna,

I’m glad to hear you are writing a diet book. I knew you had a few diet secrets up your sleeve. I am really good at finding typos in books if you need someone to proofread it.

Therese/Wisconsin Cheesehead November 16, 2006 at 8:29 pm

Anna:

I am gonna try rubbing cardamom on my thighs!! I will let you know what happens! TEE HEE
The cake looks great, per the usual! Do you sing happy birthday to the bundt….I am on a roll now! Having fun on a Thurs. nite!

Thanks for all your hard work on your blog! It’s appreciated.

Kim December 6, 2006 at 8:31 pm

I made this today, and the family loved it!

I left out the nuts and used golden raisins. I also had a bit of leftover sour cream, and I used a quarter cup of it, and only one and three quarters cups of applesauce.

It was divine. I’ll definitely make this again.

Mark M. September 27, 2008 at 12:59 pm

Used apple-pecan butter from my local orchard; added 1/4 tsp nutmeg and 1/8 tsp cardamon. Neighborhood went crazy. Food pandemoneum.

Anna September 27, 2008 at 1:11 pm

Wow! The apple butter was a brilliant substitution. I am so glad to hear it worked.