The last apple coffee cake was so good I had to make another one. This is a dark, soft, tight crumbed loaf pan applesauce cake with caramel icing. Update: I also now make it as an Instant Pot applesauce cake. The Instant Pot directions are at the end.
Originally from Food 52, I changed a Bundt cake version to loaf pan form. It's terrific, and the caramel icing is fool-proof. Also, it freezes well -- at least before you ice it. I made this yesterday, froze it, unwrapped it and iced it before serving.
As for the applesauce, I used homemade unsweetened. That sounds like a lot of work, but basically all you do is boil some chopped apples with water and a little lemon juice, then mash.
Instant Pot Applesauce Cake
I recently bought an Instant Pot sized fluted pan and have been making the cake in the Instant Pot. To make the cake in an instant pot, follow the directions as written, but put in an Instant Pot sized fluted pan. Put the trivet in the pot, add 1 ½ cups of boiling water (I just microwave it), and set the cake pan on the trivet. Close the pot, adjust the valve to the middle and set time for 33 minutes. Allow a 15 minute release time. The Instant Pot applesauce cake will be a little shaky and maybe appear too moist when you first take it out, but it settles as it cools.
Applesauce Loaf Cake with Caramel Icing
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (130 grams)
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt plus a pinch
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce**
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter cut into chunks
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ to ½ cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- Dash of vanilla optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, pepper and spices and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg with both sugars until light. Whisk in the applesauce, oil and vanilla until smooth. Fold in the dry ingredients. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 38 to 42 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan set on on a rack, then turn it out and let it cool completely.
- When cake is cool, put a piece of foil underneath the rack and make the glaze.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, cream and salt in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for one minute, and then pull it off the heat.
- Leave the pan to cool for a couple of minutes (I did not do this), and then whisk or stir in just enough of the powdered sugar to get a pourable consistency. Add the vanilla if using. Immediately pour the glaze over the cake, Let the glaze set before serving the cake.