Frosty Fruit Bars

by on December 6, 2006 · 11 comments

frostyjackforblog.jpg

Frosty Fruit Bars
A soft, chewy, fruitcake bar

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup susgar
1 egg
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1/4 cup orange juice
2 1/2 cups flour (11.2 oz)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup raisins (or cranberries)
1 cup mixed candied fruit
½ cup chopped, toasted nuts

Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon melted butter (I browned mine)
1 tablespoon rum (or Jack D)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment or grease. In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar; add egg, orange zest, and juice. Mix well. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add to creamed ingredients. Stir in raisins, candied fruit and nuts. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a strip roughly 7×12 (mine was more like 5×12) and bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven; cool slightly, then frost with glaze while warm. Cut into strips.

Glaze: Whisk together all ingredients until smooth. If you decide to brown the butter, your will need to add a little extra booze or a little water to get the right consistency. I did this in a saucepan. I doubled it. Not sure it was necessary, but I prefer having too much than too little glaze.

Makes about 40, once you’ve eaten away the scraps.

Published on December 6, 2006

Melissa December 6, 2006 at 1:54 pm

Anna, I’m wondering if you have ever used a cookie press, and if so, what kind of cookie recipe you’ve used with them? I’ve had a cookie press for about 8 years that I recently dug out of a box and I’m dying to try it. Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Melissa

Therese December 6, 2006 at 2:24 pm

Anna!

YOU ROCK! Did you know that I am an avid Jack Daniels fan!! NO LIE!
An ice cold beer and 1 shot of J.D. That is my flu shot!!
You bet I will be trying this one out.
YOU MAKE ME LAUGH!!
Keep those recipes coming!
AMEN!

Anna December 6, 2006 at 2:24 pm

Hi Melissa,

I haven’t used my cookie press this year, but last year, I used this recipe off allrecipes.com

The cookies had a great texture and held their shape well. I think the key is the egg yolks.

You can change the extracts around if you don’t like almond — anything goes.

(cut and paste the URL in your browser)

tg December 6, 2006 at 3:02 pm

what a GREAT recipe. it is just as Therese sez: you rock. oh wait, she said “YOU ROCK!” that

Anna December 6, 2006 at 4:35 pm

Therese, you rock too. I wish you were going to be at this party tonight. It would rock.

tg, you rock too.

Hey, you all ROCK. Cookies rock.

It’s funny how everything rocks these days. A friend of mine is trying to replace the expression “rock” with Bueno!….as in you are BUENO! or that is BUENO! I hope it catches on.

I’m glad you all like the recipe, because I ate too many of these (the trimmings, you know) and am walking around with a big trans-fat stomachache. Wait, I used trans-fat shortening, so it must just be fat stomachache. Oh well, party tonight means the day will end with stomachache so why not start early, right?

JeAnne December 7, 2006 at 7:59 am

Hey Anna;

These look really good..good enough that I may have to change my mind *again* about my cookie tray.

I finally got around to the pecan pie chocolate chip cookies after turkey day. OH MY…so good. I had leftover chocolate bourbon pecan pie and used that and it was quite sinful.

Thanks!

carole December 7, 2006 at 9:06 am

Here is a tip for those making spritz (cookie press) cookies for the holidays.

Put your cookie sheets in the freezer for 15 minutes before pressing. Remember, most spritz cookies have a high butter content. The cold cookie sheet will grab the warm dough better than a room temperature baking sheet.

tg December 7, 2006 at 9:27 am

i’m totally down w/ replacing rock w/ bueno. i’ve even tried to spontaneously say bueno a couple of times myself. the only thing is, i always feel like i’m hawking taco bueno. cuz they do that (cute) little bueno. but back to your original quest of replacing rock, yes, thumbs up to that

Melissa December 7, 2006 at 12:31 pm

Thanks for the tip, Anna! I’ll let you know how they go…

Michaela December 7, 2006 at 1:34 pm

Anna, I’ve been a longtime fan of your blog, and am delurking for my first comment. These cookies rock!

BTW, the recipe mentioned adding both the zest and juice. How much juice should we be adding? Am thinking of adding this to my Christmas bake list.

I just love your awesome blog.

Anna December 9, 2006 at 1:34 pm

Hi Michaela!

Nice to see you here ;).

Thanks for catching that. It is 1/4 cup orange juice.