Whole Foods Thumbprint Cookies

by on April 19, 2007 · 11 comments

So many cookie recipes, so little time. Focusing on healthy cookies was kind of nice because it helped narrow down the options of what to bake. While I’d have a hard time giving up plain old chocolate chip cookies made with white flour and chocolate chips….not to mention my beloved Frito candy, I did enjoy all of this week’s cookies quite a bit. This cookie is no exception, and it’s definitely high on the nutritious cookie scale.

These thumbprints, which are packed with good stuff, are from the Whole Foods web site. I admit, I wasn’t very optimistic when I set out to make them, but the dough was surprisingly easy to work with and when baked, quite tender and flakey. The nut-dough is not too sweet, so you can fill the tiny indentation with about 1/4 teaspoon of whatever you want. The original recipe recommends a fruit juice sweetened jam. I didn’t have any so I used a hodgepodge of jellies I’d saved from various Continental Breakfast trays and gift baskets. I knew they’d come in handy. See the orange marmalade? That is from The Ritz in London. It tastes expensive.

hoteljelly.jpg

Here’s a picture of the cookies. I put sesame seeds on two just for fun. Not necessary, but pretty. I think a peanut butter filling would go well with the sesame seeds. Maybe next time.

thumbprint cookies.jpg

And here’s the recipe.

Wholesome Thumbprint Cookies

1 cup almonds (I used walnuts)
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup safflower or canola oil (I used 7 tablespoons canola, 1 tablespoon walnut oil)
1/2 cup maple syrup
pinch of salt (big pinch)
water (didn’t need any)
fruit juice sweetened jam (or jelly hoarded from various hotel stays and gift baskets)

Ingredient Option: substitute pecans for the almonds (or walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Lay nuts on a cookie sheet and toast for 6-8 minutes or until fragrant. Let cool.

Place nuts and oats in food processor and grind fine. Dump into a mixing bowl. Add pastry flour and stir until mixed. Combine oil and maple syrup in a separate bowl then add to flour mixture, stirring until well mixed. Add water (if needed) until mixture holds together.

Form dough into walnut sized balls. Press your thumb into each ball to make a deep indentation. Fill with jam. Bake for 15 minutes.

Makes about 32

Published on April 19, 2007

Poutine April 19, 2007 at 11:32 am

Yummy!! Did you steal my line? I have almost the same quote on my sig line at Eg. So many recipes, so little time. Its funny, because I just changed it the other day.

Anna April 19, 2007 at 11:41 am

I haven’t logged on in a while, so I guess I didn’t steal your line ;).

Lindsay April 19, 2007 at 2:25 pm

Alright…since Anna is not going to toot her own horn, I’ll do it! She won the GRAND PRIZE in the Mix It Up With Betty Contest (just announced today). For this she gets an excellent cash prize and lots of box tops for the school of her choice. Here’s the

As a side note…Anna, I received an honorable mention for this contest (my first one!) and I have to tell you that you inspired me to try my hand at the whole contest thing. I think you’re a remarkable person (with a remarkable blog!)

KelliRR April 19, 2007 at 3:22 pm

Congratulations to both of you! Those cookies all look so delicious. I can’t wait to start trying them out. Anna, speaking of your Frito candy, I have made that so many times I’ve lost count. I changed it up a tad (I don’t really measure the Fritos and pretzels anymore but I use equal amounts of both since the Fritos are what makes it so different) Everywhere I take this I am asked to bring it again! Thanks again for the recipe. It is definitely a life long keeper!

Poutine April 19, 2007 at 3:47 pm

Yay Anna!!

Lauren April 19, 2007 at 3:59 pm

I always joke that my cookies and baked goods are healthy because I always throw in a little white whole wheat flour. Depending on what I’m making I’ll use more or less, but the white whole wheat is so mild-tasting and looking that I don’t even tell people it’s in there. Before I started using the white whole wheat I would warn people when there was whole wheat in there, but now I don’t think it’s necessary.

I highly recommend using King Arthur Flour’s white whole wheat in anything. I usually do half and half in most everything. Even if it’s not exactly “healthy”, at least more healthful than it might otherwise be. :)

Anna April 19, 2007 at 6:02 pm

Lindsay, thanks! I’m very happy about this. I found out this morning. Someone congratulated me before I even knew what happened. Also, Congratulations on your Honorable Mention! Which one was your cookie? I need to go back and look at all the HM’s.

Kelli, glad to hear the Frito Candy is popular at your house. My friends like it too. It’s kind of hard to forget.

Lauren, I tried the white whole wheat once in a chocolate chip cookie recipe. No one noticed anything different. Then again, the cookies were also jam packed with chocolate, nuts and cranberries.

Amy April 19, 2007 at 8:32 pm

Just for the record (because you just never know…), I love orange marmelade. Congratulations on your latest win!! That’s awesome!

Molli April 19, 2007 at 9:57 pm

You crack me up – the orange marmalade tastes expensive :)

Congrats on another win!

carolina December 3, 2009 at 6:36 pm

this post is soo old that it might not be read..but just in case someone does i was wondering..could you not use pastry flour??..and use like whole wheat flour or just all porpuse flour??

Anna December 3, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Hi Caroline,

Don’t worry, I see all the comments — even on old posts ;).

I think you could get away with using 4 oz (you might want to weigh it out) of whole wheat or all purpose. The cookies just won’t be as light. If you don’t have a scale and can’t weigh out 4 oz, just fluff up the flour and use 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon of all purpose. If you use a dense whole wheat flour, you should probably use 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons.