For the past couple of months I’ve been telling Katrina I’d try her grain free chocolate chip cookie recipe. The recipe calls for coconut sugar, coconut flour, almond meal and a few other things I just never seemed to have on hand at the same time. That all changed this weekend. I went on an “alternative baking ingredients” shopping spree and bought everything I needed for “Katrina’s Grain Free Chocolate Chip Cookies” aka Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Because of the coconut flour, coconut oil and coconut sugar, they most certainly do have a coconut flavor, but it’s not too strong and it actually enhances the cookies. They’re dense and chewy in texture and have a lovely brown hue. In short, they are fantastic. Thanks so much to Katrina for the recipe!
Update: I’ve made these cookies several times since posting and have updated the recipe a bit. Katrina likes using raw honey. I prefer using 3/4 cup of coconut sugar and omitting the honey entirely. I also like making the cookies larger, so instead of tablespoon size balls I divide the cookies into 8 large mounds. For the almond flour, any kind will do, but I’ve gotten the best results with very fine almond flour. King Arthur makes a good one.
Katrina's Grain Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup 112 grams almond flour or Trader Joe’s almond meal
- 1/4 cup 30 grams coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or use 1/2 cup coconut sugar and 1/4 cup honey
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil room temperature
- 6 tablespoons almond butter I've used both sweetened and unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 to 1 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the coconut sugar, coconut oil and almond butter. Beat until well combined, then beat in the vanilla and egg.
- Add the almond meal mixture and stir until combined, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Shape the dough into 8 large balls. You can bake these immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
- Arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet, spacing 3 inches apart, and press tops down slightly.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes (mine take 12). Let cool on the baking sheet for 3-5 minutes, then move them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Here’s the most recent photo of Katrina’s Grain Free Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies.