I wasn’t prepared to like this recipe as much as I did, but these Paleo Chocolate Chip Bars won me over. Along with being gluten-free and dairy free (if you use non-dairy butter), they have a decent amount of protein per serving.
I use a brand called Garden of Life Raw mainly because I can buy it in small packets for a couple of dollars.
These are most definitely not low in fat because of all the nut flour and nut butter, but they are satisfying and should keep you full for a while.
Paleo Chocolate Chip Bars
- 1 cup almond flour (90 grams)
- 1/4 cup plant protein powder (20 grams), vanilla flavored
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter or vegan buttery stick (42 grams)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (50 grams)
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened salted nut butter or almond butter (50 grams) -- I use Trader Joe's
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped Brazil nuts (or your favorite nut)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square pan with nonstick foil.
- Mix together almond flour, protein powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the melted butter and coconut sugar until blended, then whisk in the egg, almond butter and vanilla.
- Fold the almond flour mixture into the butter mixture and stir until blended, then stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Press the mixture firmly into the pan and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until top appears dry. Let cool completely, then lift from pan and cut into squares.