I wasn’t prepared to like this recipe as much as I did, but these Paleo Chocolate Chip Bars won me over. Along with being gluten-free and dairy free (if you use non-dairy butter), they have a decent amount of protein per serving.
Paleo Chocolate Chip Bars Protein Powder
There are so many different kinds of protein powder it can be difficult to know which one to use. For this recipe, I’ve used Garden of Life Raw mainly because I can buy it in small packets for a couple of dollars. Update: I recently tested these with unflavored whey protein isolates and they worked just fine.
Small Loaf Pan Version
When I re-tested the Paleo Chocolate Chip Bars with a different protein powder,I halved the recipe and used a loaf pan. Here’s a little trick for lining loaf pans with parchment: Clip the parchment to the side of the loaf pan, then paint it with coconut oil or shortening. Next, add your batter or dough. Once it’s all settled in, removed the clips and bake!
Half batch loaf pan bar cookies!
These are most definitely not low in fat because of all the nut flour and nut butter, but they are satisfying and should keep you full for a while.
Paleo Chocolate Chip Bars
- 1 cup almond flour 90 grams
- 1/4 cup plant protein powder 20 grams, vanilla flavored
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter or vegan buttery stick 42 grams
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or 1/4 cup (50 grams) brown sugar if you're not too concerned with Paleo 50 grams
- 1 large egg 50 grams
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened salted nut butter or almond butter 50 grams — I use Trader Joe’s
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped Brazil nuts or your favorite nut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square pan with nonstick foil.
- Mix together almond flour, protein powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the melted butter and coconut sugar until blended, then whisk in the egg, almond butter and vanilla.
- Fold the almond flour mixture into the butter mixture and stir until blended, then stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Press the mixture firmly into the pan and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until top appears dry. Let cool completely, then lift from pan and cut into squares.