Larry’s Mojito Cake

Here’s a recipe you won’t find on the back of a bag. It was invented by my friend Janice’s husband, Larry who likes to put a creative twist on old recipes. This recipe, which evolved from a very old recipe involving crushed pineapple and angel cake mix, is one of Larry’s best.

For the baking dish, either a 15×10 inch or a 13×9 inch pan will do. Larry baked his in a 15×10 inch pan, but I like to bake mine in a 13×9 inch metal pan. I believe it would look good baked in a 13×9 inch Pyrex dish, but if you use Pyrex, reduce the heat to 325 degrees.

This is one of those easy desserts that is truly better than the sum of its parts, so save it and whip it up when you need something quick and refreshing…like now!

larrys cake.jpg

Larry’s Mojito Cake

20 ounce can crushed pineapple, un-drained
Juice of 1 lime
1 (1 lb.) box angel food cake mix
8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup limeade from concentrate
1-4 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon rum extract
8 oz tub (3 1/4 cups) whipped topping
1/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut
Zest of 1 lime
Mint leaves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13×9 inch metal pan with cooking spray. If you use a Pyrex dish, reduce the heat to 325 degrees F. You can also use a 15×10 inch pan, which is what Larry uses.

In a mixing bowl, stir together the pineapple, lime juice and angel food cake mix. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake it using the following cook times – 18-24 minutes for a 15×10 inch pan or about 25 minutes for a 13×9 inch pan. Let cool completely in pan.

In mixing bowl, beat together the softened cream cheese and limeade concentrate. Check for sweetness. Add 1 tablespoon sugar at a time sugar at a time and taste to get the sweetness you like – I used 4 tablespoons. Beat in rum extract, then fold in whipped topping or whipped cream. Spread over cooled cake. Sprinkle with coconut and lime zest. Top each serving with mint leaves.

Serves 8-10

Comments

Hi Therese,

I don’t see why not. The only problem you might into is the top would be too runny if you used TOO much rum, however, it’s a pretty thick topping and I think it could stand a few tablespoon of rum. You’ll have to taste as you go, I suppose.

I have two kinds of mint( choc mint and spearmint) and both are planted in containers. Mint can totally take over your garden.

Mine is peppermint.

I went to the grocery store thinking I’d buy the pre-packaged fresh mint for $2.50. Outside the store was a big display of fresh herb plants in pots — something I’ve never seen at this particular store. So it was meant to be.

Poutine is absolutely right. Please, please, please, put your mint in a pot/container, not in your garden. Don’t say we didn’t warn you…

I will have to try this. I tried the orginal pineapple angle food version recently and loved it. Thanks!
    By the way, mint will take over any garden or flower bed you plant it in. My parents had a litte in with their roeses and honeysuckle and it took over everything.

I’m going to do the absolute opposite of whate everyone says and let the mint take over my garden ;).

Brenda, I had seen the Weight Watcher’s cake recipe here and there as well. It wasn’t very appealing to me and I never bothered with it. Larry’s mojito twist is what won me over. The cake’s not fancy, but it’s a really good base for tropical flavored desserts. The other nice thing about it is it’s lower in fat than other rich desserts. You could make it even lower in fat by using fat free Cool Whip.

Todd really liked this one and he certainly not on a diet.

This looks like a pretty interesting recipe, I’m definitely going to have to try it out. Wonder what the pro vs. con of using regular rum vs. rum extract would be in the cooking procedure.

8. marmart says

I wanted something different to follow a heavy Mexican food meal. This was the greatest, a major hit with guests! I made it the day before and placed in the fridge. The overnight chilling improves the cake, I think. Thanks, Larry for creating it, and Anna for posting it.

9. lourdes says

Do you think I can try this with a regular yellow cake mix and use the energyx egg substitute? All of the angel food cake mixes have egg powder listed in their ingredients.

10. Jane says

Made this cake in a tube pan. When cooled, I sliced it in half, horizontally. Using the topping, I spread some in between the layers, then iced the whole cake. I garnished it with thinly sliced lime twists, sprigs of fresh mint, and toasted coconut. It was a spectacular presentation!

11. Kathy says

hi, anna, i was wondering if you would follow the instructions for the angel food cake mix or do you just literally just use the mix?

Thank you Larry, I made this for a Cuban Pot-Luck. You won’t believe the raves. Everyone wanted the recipe. It’s so easy and well worth the small effort.
    I have a suggestion. I noticed, on your picture, that the cake seemed lower in the in the center. To advoid that I turned the oven temp off 5 minutes priort to finish baking and left it to cool compleatly in the over. The cake retained its height throught the cake. It looked fantastic as a finished procuct. Thanks, Birte