Frosting Made with Cake Mix (!)

by on September 14, 2007 · 9 comments

Today’s recipe was so weird I had to try it – Cake Mix Frosting.   Yes, it’s what you think….a frosting made with cake mix and whipping cream. I don’t want to talk about it much because it’s giving me a headache.  Why did all the reviewers on Recipezaar love it so?  I followed the recipe as directed and the texture was perfect, but the taste was odd.  Then again, I’m not the world’s biggest fan of “Cake Batter Ice Cream” so perhaps you should give this a try.  Or perhaps not.   I Just. Don’t. Know.

Here’s a picture.  The cake is Flo Braker’s.  I made two layers, but decided to put the wacky frosting on one and save the other for something more to my liking.  If you try it, let me know.

cake-mix-frosting.jpg

Published on September 14, 2007

Anna September 14, 2007 at 11:39 am

That’s how I felt when I saw the recipe. It was just too odd not to try.

I still don’t have an opinion. I don’t dislike it, but I wouldn’t make it again.

Anna September 14, 2007 at 11:51 am

Okay, the more I think about it, the more I actually do dislike it. In fact, I think I’m going to throw it out.

Emilie, I wouldn’t waste good brownies mix on this recipe.

I’m mad at myself for wasting a half cup of cake mix and a cup and a half of perfectly good cream on this stuff. Yuck.

Joe September 14, 2007 at 12:38 pm

Well, the concept certainly does sound interesting, but I don’t think I would like it either and I do like the cake batter ice cream! Was the taste kind of flour-y?

Anna September 14, 2007 at 1:03 pm

Joe, it wasn’t floury. Not at all. In fact the texture was quite good if you like the slippery texture of freshly whipped cream. What was gnarly was the taste. The best I can describe it is like post nasal drip.

rebecca September 14, 2007 at 2:07 pm

i love cake batter ice cream. so maybe i will give this a try next time i’m looking for an interesting frosting.

thanks for sharing, even though you didn’t love it.

Therese September 14, 2007 at 4:45 pm

Hey…everyone LOVES the taste of post nasal drip!!!

As Johnny Carson would have said….very funny stuff!!!

Shane September 15, 2007 at 6:38 am

I tried this a few months ago on a whim. I was just curious–which I think is what attracted everyone else. I, too, had serious doubts about the taste. I was thrilled that the consistency was frosting-like, because I thought it would be grainy, and when it came together, I thought I was onto something–all those reviews can’t be wrong–right?? But the taste was really undescribable. My description was that it TASTED like cake mix with whipping cream in it, and that was not a good thing. Sort of “industrial”. Won’t be making it again, and I didn’t review it because I didn’t have good things to say. Thanks for your input–I’m glad I wasn’t alone!

Kelly September 15, 2007 at 7:15 am

hmm… I wonder how it would be with a chocolate cake mix, or maybe lemon? Im going to have to give this a try.

Anna September 15, 2007 at 7:19 am

Well I am really happy that other people are still willing to give it a shot. It’s such a convenient recipe. I made it with white cake mix and didn’t like the flavor. Yellow cake mix might taste better or maybe even chocolate. I have a feeling that if you attempt to do chocolate, you’ll want to add some extra cocoa powder of some sort to it…or maybe even melted chocolate. I don’t think a half cup of chocolate cake mix would give it enough chocolate flavor.