Heidi’s Oatmeal Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

The weekend is almost over, but we have some fun things ahead — an outing to the Bowie High School candy carnival followed by dinner here at home with friends. This means I have an excuse to make a big, fun cake, so I’ll report on that later. In the meantime, I tried a new cookie recipe.

This was sent by Heidi in Colorado, who says she wanted to share the recipe because it’s great for kids. Her daughter loves it and so do all her friends.  Heidi got it off a canister of store brand oatmeal but adapted it to her preferences. The only things I did differently than Heidi were to add salt, use bittersweet chocolate chips and add toasted pecans. Heidi mentioned that using smaller chocolate chips helped distribute the chocolate better, but instead of buying mini chips, I just cut some of the bittersweet chips up with a chef’s knife.

These were very good! Thanks for the recipe, Heidi.

Heidi’s Banana Cookies

Heidi’s Oatmeal Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
1 c. brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 scant teaspoon salt (optional) – use only if using unsalted butter or shortening
1 teaspoon cinnamon (Anna and Heidi both omitted)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 c. old-fashioned oatmeal
1 c. mashed banana (about 3 old bananas)
1/2 cup chocolate chips – Dark chocolate has anti-oxidants, so Anna used more
1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream butter and sugar. Mix in egg. Add vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda and salt. Then mix in the oatmeal. Fold in mashed banana then stir in chocolate chips and pecans.

Drop by tablespoons onto parchment lined pans and bake for 11-13 minutes or until cookies appear set. Let cool on wire rack.

Makes about 4 dozen

Comments

mmm. i’ve put banana and chocolate together in baked goods before, but i don’t believe i’ve ever included oatmeal in that combination. they look and sound delicious!

Hey, I have two bananas sitting on my counter right now! I was saving them to make brownies, but maybe I’ll bake these cookies instead. I wonder how white chocolate chips would taste with banana?

These sound good! I may try these, but I think I’ll have to include some cinnamon in mine.

The ghost placemat looks cute. :D

how are these different from the Max Power oatmeal banana chocolate chip ones? I tried those last week and loved them–they got rave reviews :)

Hi Amy!

The biggest difference was in the texture. These were kind of dense and thick. The max power cookies spread a little more.

6. Erica says

Hey Anna!
    I’ve been reading your blog for almost a year now and I absolutely looovveee it! I’m fourteen years old and I literally check your site right when I come home from school (and throughout the afternoon!) to see what you’ve baked! I’m not much of a baker myself… I had to explain the concept of cookie dough to my mom (I guess she thought it came off of trees or something??) and our only “talent” in baking is decorating cookie cakes (which we love to do but always use premade dough for…). So, when I found out my class was having a party today to mark the beginning of vacation, I was reluctant to offer to bring food in… after all, I didn’t want to make anybody sick! But I’ve been determined to make one of the cookies from off of your blog since I started reading it and my mom and I took a “leap of faith” by choosing this recipe and going to the supermarket to by some flour and butter. The cookies were great (even though we forgot to buy baking soda…whoops…), and my class loved them! They all said they tasted like banana bread but in cookie form, and they smelled really fresh. This was a huge accomplishment for my mom and me… and after hearing how everyone loved what we baked, she said we should make something new every week! Thanks again for keeping life sweet!

Hi Erica,

Thanks for the comment! Also, it’s nice to know these cookies work without baking soda. LOL.

Good luck with your goal of making one new thing per week. I have a similar goal, but it involve making 1 new NON-sweet thing per week….like real food. I’m going through all my celebrity chef cookbooks and trying to find interesting dinner recipes we’d actually eat.

….but back to the cookies. Thanks for the comment and good luck with your baking.

P.S. The cookies I baked today with the Eagle Mills flour are very good. You can use any brand of flour.