This is an old recipe for Banana Bread Biscotti. I’ve used it over the years to use up over-ripe bananas.
This recipe is adapted from One Smart Cookie, a book I use when I’m looking to cut the fat in cookies. For me, that is not often, since I’d rather eat a half a rich cookie than a whole low fat cookie, but I do have to admit that a lot of the recipes in the book are almost as good as full fat.
Bananas have a lot of water, so you can’t use too much banana or the biscotti will not dry out. For more banana flavor, you can add ground banana chips. One of these days I’m going to try making a gluten-free version with banana flour, though I’ve read that banana flour doesn’t taste much like bananas. One thing I do not recommend is banana extract. It is good in some things, but it tastes more like banana flavored Laffy Taffy and not like true banana bread.
Banana Bread Biscotti
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mashed banana 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans (or walnuts)
- 1/4-1/3 cup chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine banana, oil, egg and vanilla and mix until well blended. Add the flour mixture, toasted pecans and optional chocolate chips to the banana mixture and stir just until combined. If the mixture seems dry, use your hands to mix until the dough comes together.
- Divide the mixture in half and shape each half into an 8 inch log. Place the logs about 4 inches apart on a cookie sheet that has been greased or lined with parchment or Release foil. Press the logs into two rectangles about 3 inches across.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until firm and cracked on top. Transfer the logs to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 275 degrees F.
- Place logs on a cutting board, trim the ends and using a sharp, serrated knife, cut each diagonally into 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick slices. Place biscotti cut side down on the cookie sheet. Return them to the 275 degree oven and cook for 20 minutes. Flip them over and cook for another 20 minutes . Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Makes 2 dozen