Fiber One Crunchy Fudge Cookies

by on November 14, 2007 · 14 comments

I didn’t think I’d be able to make anything new today, but as I was cleaning the kitchen and moving boxes around, I noticed this recipe on the side of a Fiber One box. It sounded interesting and since I’m hosting a Brownie meeting later, I figured I’d test it out on a group of six year old girls. But first, I tried a cookie myself.

Hmmmmmmmm. I don’t know. I think I’d rather eat a bowl of plain Fiber One. However, if you can’t deal with fiber cereal straight up and want to hide it in brownie flavored cookies, you might like these.

Before I posted this, I looked to see if anyone else had tried these recipes. Here are a few reviews from another site. Other people liked them more than I do. I’ll let you know what the kids think…..luckily I have a back-up cookie.

UPDATE:  5 hours later these cookies taste really good, so I guess they improve with age.  I gave some to a friend and she asked for the recipe.

fiber one cookies

The only change I made was to leave out the cinnamon and use regular size chocolate chips.

Fiber One Crunchy Fudge Cookies

1 box brownie mix (1 pound 3.5 oz) – Betty Crocker
2 cups Fiber One cereal
2 tablespoons miniature chocolate chips
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup water
1 large egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line cookie sheets with parchment or spray with cooking spray. The cookies are kind of sticky at first.

Mix ingredients together. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack and let cool for at least 30 minutes. Don’t try these before they cool! The cereal needs time to regain its crunchiness.

Makes 3 dozen

Published on November 14, 2007

cindy November 14, 2007 at 12:15 pm

Totally unrelated to today’s post (sorry)… have you ever posted a recipe using cocoa mix? I’ve tried looking around your site, but haven’t found it. I found one recipe at All Recipes. But Google just keeps coming up with recipes to MAKE cocoa mix. I have an unbelievable amount of Swiss Miss cocoa mix in the house, and I’m trying to figure out how to use it up!

Thanks.

Anna November 14, 2007 at 12:27 pm

Hi Cindy,

I have made brownies with sweetened cocoa mix (Penzey’s and Ghirardelli) but not with instant cocoa mix such as Swiss Miss. Swiss Miss has dried milk in it, so you’d need a different recipe. I will look around and see what I can find.

If you find something and try it, let me know. Every once in a while, my daughter begs me to buy that stuff then drinks one mug of it and says she doesn’t want anymore.

Joe November 14, 2007 at 2:12 pm

If you are still looking for ideas, I made a “hot chocolate” cookie a few weeks ago that used up a bunch of instant cocoa I had. Hot Chocolate Cookies

meredith November 14, 2007 at 2:40 pm

Check out “Quick Brownies” on the Epicurious website. I’ve made w/ packets of instant hot chocolate (Swiss Miss, as a matter of fact) — very good and easy-peasy!!

Chelsea November 14, 2007 at 4:07 pm

lol! I always look for recipes to make with stuff I have laying around. Too bad I through the box of fiber one out awhile ago! ;)
Anyways, my Hubby (whos from South Korea) Just looked at the date and told me it’s “Cookie Day” in South Korea.
So happy cookie day! lol.

Anna November 14, 2007 at 5:20 pm

Joe, thanks! I will probably try that recipe at some point too.

Meredith — double thanks.

Chelsea, thanks for the news about Cookie Day in South Korea. Happy Cookie Day, South Korea!

I’m going to update this post because after the cookies sat around all day, they got better.

katrina November 14, 2007 at 6:13 pm

hey!!!! i made those recently, i thought they were really good but a tad too sweet. i used a no pudge brownie mix and then altered the water amount a little cos that mix is lighter than the other. but yeah i definatly do think that they improve with age. o and mine stuck to the bottom of my silpats. have you ever had a problem with this? almost everything is ticking to my silpats and they are relativly new? i dunno.
katrina

Liz November 15, 2007 at 9:32 am

I see your back-up cookie was a big flat chewy chocolate chip. Do you know of a good recipe for a puffy, cakey chocolate chip cookie? What I do now is just leave out the white sugar and use a few less tablespoons of butter from the recipe on the Nestle chips package. Thanks!

Amy November 15, 2007 at 10:00 am

Leave out the cinnamon???? Sacrilege!

Anna November 15, 2007 at 11:15 am

Katrina, I used my Silpat and these cookies stuck to it. Next time I’ll use parchment paper. But yes, sometimes things do stick to my Silpat. I wonder if there’s some sort of Silpat rejuvenation we can do.

Liz, I just emailed you Martha Stewart’s recipe for cakey chocolate chip cookies. I haven’t tried this one, but they sound like what you are looking for. It’s also the recipe she includes with her cookie tower packaging, so the cookies must be good. Here’s the link for anyone else interested.

Amy, next time I’ll leave it in. Since I was going to let the girls try the cookies, I left it out. However, things didn’t go as planned. We ended up giving the girls a healthier snack of pretzels and apples. After the meeting, when moms were hanging around talking and the girls were playing, I gave fiber cookies to the moms. They really liked them.

……..they do need to age, though.

cindy November 15, 2007 at 8:53 pm

thanks for the recipes. I’m going to try some out soon. And get rid of this huge box of hot chocolate mix!

Then I can move on to recipes to use up the almonds, coconut, caramels, sprinkles, … Hee!

prettybaker November 15, 2007 at 11:44 pm

Wow – these look great and I jusr spotted Fiber 1 cereal at the grocery store (we don’t always have the selection as in the states) so I guess its back to the market for me…LOL
BTW – love your blog and just adore Fuzz – I think she is number 1 character!

Anna November 16, 2007 at 9:48 am

Cindy, at least the ingredients you’re trying to use up are fun.

Prettybaker, I’d love to take a stroll through a grocery store in Israel. Believe it or not, the store at the end of my street has a very small section with a few Israeli foods.

Thanks for the comment on Fuzz. She’s a character in real life too. Her newest thing is saying “Sweet!” when she sees something she likes. It sounds funny coming from a 6 year old kid. She thinks she’s being super cool.

elise lahey February 25, 2009 at 10:41 am

i just made these last nite… mmm they are good for when you NEED chocolate.