An easy carrot cake adapted from Nestle’s Very Best Baking site. Pumpkin adds a little flavor and moisture.
Recipe: Pumpkin Carrot Cake
Summary: A twist on traditional carrot cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I think I left it out)
- 1 can crushed pineapple — (8 oz.) drained
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with flour-added cooking spray.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in small bowl. Combine milk and lemon juice in liquid measuring cup (mixture will appear curdled).
- Beat eggs, pumpkin, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, pineapple, carrots and milk mixture in large mixer bowl; mix well. Gradually add flour mixture; beat until combined. Stir in coconut and 1 cup nuts. Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 15 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Cooking time (duration): 30
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 12
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
COMBINE 11 ounces softened cream cheese, 1/3 cup softened butter and 3 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar in large mixer bowl until fluffy. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons orange juice and 1 teaspoon grated orange peel; beat until combined.