Scones

It’s National Bundt Cake day, so I made some scones.

I found the recipe on a site called Recipelink, where people were raving about it. The scones are supposed to be similar to the scones from Great Harvest, but I wouldn’t know because I’ve never tried any Great Harvest scones. They’re good, though — as far as sweet scones go.

I changed the recipe a bit by adding vanilla and upping the heat to 400 degrees. The original recipe said to bake the scones at 350 degrees, but I think scones cook better at high temps. If you don’t need quite so many scones, you can halve this recipe and use 1 3/4 tablespoon of lightly beaten egg, which is what I did. I also cut mine into circles rather than baking them as triangles. The topping is a mixture of cinnamon and sugar, but that is completely optional….as are the chocolate chips.

Scones

Scones

1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces of cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
1 cup chocolate chips (or dried cranberries, or frozen blueberries, etc.)

Topping: 1 part Egg yolk mixed with 1 part milk or cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, blend the sour cream and baking soda. Stir in the vanilla and egg; set aside.

In a second large bowl or food processor, mix or pulse the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt. Cut or process in the butter until mixture is coarse. Dump the flour mixture into the bowl with the sour cream/egg mixture and stir until moist. Stir in the chocolate chips (or other add-in)

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. Roll or pat dough into a 3/4 inch thick round. Cut into 12 wedges, and place them 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.   Brush with topping.

Bake 15-18 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown on the bottom.

Comments

1. Lindsay says

I LOVE Great Harvest scones, although they are more like cake than scones I think (perhaps that’s why I like them!) Were these scone-like or cake-like?

Hi Lindsay,

With the addition of the vanilla, they had an interesting vanilla/sour cream flavor. I wouldn’t call the texture cakey, but they were more cake-like than some other scones which are dry. They were light, but not fluffy…if that makes sense.

I live by a Great Harvest, and I might say…biscuit-y? In terms of texture. These ones look more welcoming than the ones at the local Great Harvest though!

I have never heard of GHBC, until I went into one yesterday in Ann Arbor, MI. How weird to read your post. I also bought a pumpkin scone which I brought home. They have samples of all their breads out, I’d just had breakfast so I wasnt hungry to try anything but she told me the scones were good. I did try it and it was, so I bought it. I also bought an amazing cookie. Traverse city cherry. It was like a sugar cookie with dried cherries and dark choc. chips. I’d love to find a similar recipe. I bought a loaf of bread. I feel guilty about spending 5 bucks on a loaf when I could make it for pennies. Btw, while I was at Zingerman’s and GHBC I heard that the price of flour has trippled!!! I think I better stock up before it trickles down to the consumer.

We have at least one in Austin. It’s not very close to my house, though. I don’t go very far from my house anymore ;).

I couldn’t find the Traverse City cookie, but I did find a Great Harvest Chocolate Chip copycat. I made these a long time ago and remember them as being very good….kind of soft, but still good.

GREAT HARVEST BREAD COMPANY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 cups brown sugar, packed
    8 ounces butter, softened
    2 cups rolled oats
    2 eggs
    2 tablespoons molasses
    1 tablespoon milk
    1 (12 ounce) pkg semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

Beat together brown sugar and butter until well combined. Add oats, eggs, molasses, and milk; beat well. Add dry ingredients to beaten mixture; beat until blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop dough and drop about 3 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 to 13 minutes, until just starting to brown around the outside. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets. Remove and cool on racks.

Makes 24 giant cookies

6. Jenine says

Now if only I could locate some clotted cream in Austin. Can’t find it anywhere. Most people have never heard of the stuff.

Thanks Anna, The traverse city cookie did not have oats, its was really light in color and tasted more like a snickerdoodle without cinnamon( if that makes sense).

8. Judy says

I made these scones and couldn’t find amount listed for the salt that was to be added. I went with 1/2 tsp. and that tasted OK. Would more or less be suggested? Also, baked on an air cookie sheet with parchment paper. Sound OK?

Judy, it’s 1 teaspoon of salt. I think I deleted in the ingredient list when I re-worked it a little. Sorry about that!

Also, something weird happened with the link I had up. Instead of linking to the Great Harvest clone, it linked to something else. The Airbake with the parchment is fine.