No-Fail Pan Cookies

by on February 3, 2008 · 20 comments

I have a cake recipe to post today, but for all of you searching for a quick super bowl snack, here’s a good one.

This is a simple pan/bar cookie, but you can jazz is up by using different types of chips. I used a combination of cinnamon and chocolate chips, but you can use butterscotch, bittersweet chips, dark – whatever is on hand. What’s great about this bar cookie is that it’s moist, has a dense texture, chewy edges and a caramel flavor.

pan cookies

No-Fail Pan Cookies

3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
1/4 to 1/2 cups of your favorite flavor chips (butterscotch, chocolate chips, bittersweet) — see note at bottom

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with non-stick foil.

Thoroughly stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter on high for 1 minute. Add brown sugar and stir well. Stir in the egg and vanilla and beat 15 strokes with a mixing spoon.

Add flour mixture to sugar mixture and stir just until mixed. Mixture will still be very warm so let it cool for 5 minutes. Stir in chips.

Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and bars appear set (edges will be brown).

Let cool for about 20 minutes. Lift from pan and slice into 16 bars

Note: These bars are fairly sweet, so you may want to eliminate the chips altogether. I like chips, so I add them. If you are using a sweet chip such as butterscotch or cinnamon, you might want to use 1/4 cup, but if you are using a dark chocolate type chip, go for the higher amount. Nuts are a good add-in too.

Makes 16

Published on February 3, 2008

Sue February 3, 2008 at 2:55 pm

My son is doing a 72 hour trivia marathon contest next weekend, and I always make some food and treats to send along. These sound perfect! Thanks!

Marie February 3, 2008 at 9:04 pm

Hi there. I’m relatively new to your site having only discovered it about a month ago. I typically bake 1-2 times a week but I bow down to your ability to do it a couple times a day.

I tried these tonight using peanut butter chips and semi-sweet chips and they’re really good. They have a strong caramel note which I think goes nicely with the peanut butter. The only thing I would add is that the batter was a bit sticky, so I had to work quickly to get it into the pan.

I’m looking forward to try more of your recipes. Anything with dark chocolate or peanut butter makes me happy.

Anna February 4, 2008 at 8:36 am

Sue, these will be perfect. They are very portable.

Marie, thanks for commenting. I hope you keep reading Cookie Madness and finding recipes you like. I agree. These have a lot of caramel flavor. I’ve seen versions of them made with butterscotch chips, which I think would be even better than chocolate. I think broken up Heath bars would be good too.

steph February 4, 2008 at 5:41 pm

Hi Anna!
I made your Sushine Dream Bars for Superbowl, everyone loved them. For this recipe I want to use a 13×9 pan. Would I just double the ingredients?
Thanx, you rock!

Anna February 4, 2008 at 5:46 pm

Hi Steph,

Those Sunshine Bars were an old Bake-Off recipe which I just modified. Wish I could take the credit.

For the pan cookies, doubling would probably work, just watch the cookie time closely. I think one thing that makes the pan cookies so good is the thick and chewy edges. You’d still get the in a bigger pan, but not quite so many. Let me know if it works for you. I’ve always made these in an 8 inch.

Jen February 4, 2008 at 8:35 pm

Hi Anna,
This is the 2nd recipe of yours I have tried and I have been so happy with both of them! I was asked today to make something for a school bake sale… tomorrow… and I quickly realized I could make these bar pan cookies and they taste great! Very easy to make and I think they will make the high school kids very happy!

Keep up the great ideas, suggestions & recipes :)

Angie February 5, 2008 at 7:00 pm

yum! I just pulled these out of the oven and can hardly wait to cut them up! My house smells incredible. I like the melted butter and brown sugar bit…..

Stephanie February 6, 2008 at 11:10 am

Thanks for this recipe, Anna. I’m making these this morning with semi-sweet chips and some Trader Joes bittersweet Pounder Plus chocolate. I’m sure they’ll be wonderful!

Jacey February 11, 2008 at 8:29 am

I made these over the weekend, and they were just what I was craving! I substituted wheat flour for one-fourth of a cup, and it worked well. Thanks for a great easy recipe! It will definitely be a repeat for me.

Stacy February 12, 2008 at 12:00 pm

I made these yesterday with some butterscotch chips I had in the freezer. Yummy! I’ll definitely be making them again. Thanks so much for sharing this, and all of your wonderful recipes, Anna! :)

Deidre February 15, 2008 at 3:03 pm

I just made these, and they are great! Definitely very sweet.

I accidentally used a whole stick of butter when I was putting these together, so I ended up making a double batch and baking these in a 9×13 pan. They took a while longer to bake – total bake time for me was around 35 minutes, and they ended up really puffy and shiny on top? I’m not really sure why they look so much different from yours, but they really turned out well. I’m practically a baking and cooking failure so that actually suprised me.

Thanks for the recipe, Anna!

Anna February 15, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Deidre, thanks for providing cook time for a 13×9 inch pan. And yes, they are supposed to be shiny. I don’t remember mine being puffy, but that could have been due to the larger pan size. I’m happy to hear they worked out. I think this recipe originally came from Betty Crocker.

Deidre February 22, 2008 at 7:40 pm

Anna, I made these again today, but with some modifications. I realized last time that because of my inexperience in the kitchen, for some reason, I thought a stick of butter was 8 ounces, so I ended up using half as much as necessary.

They still turned out well the last time, so today I used half the butter again.

I also added (in addition to 1/2 cup of semisweet chips) about 1/2 cup of crushed Oreo’s. They were fantastic, and definitely better than before.

Baking time was a little more confusing though because it seemed like every time I stuck a toothpick in, I either hit molten chocolate chip or molten Oreo.

Regardless, they really are fantastic, and fantastically easy. I think I’m giving up drop cookies for a while.

Anna February 22, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Wow! Crushed Oreos. Brilliant.

steph March 18, 2008 at 6:57 am

Have you seen this pan? I saw it on the Early show so I googled Baker’s Edge brownie Pan, I thought of these no fail cookies when I saw it!

Kate April 22, 2008 at 8:49 am

My husband called at the last minute tonight saying that he was supposed to bring the snack for his Bible study. After tearing through a few cookbooks and finding nothing that met my two criteria: quick and using ingredients I had on hand, I ran here knowing I’d find something. These were a huge hit using semi-sweet chips! And they were so, so easy. Thank you!!

Kate April 24, 2008 at 1:48 pm

You’re a girl scout! Hubby volunteered me to make these at the cub scout camp out. Over a fire. In a dutch oven. Ummm…any ideas? I’ve already put the husband up for sale on e-bay. It’s probably going to cost me a pretty penny to get someone to take him.

Amanda July 15, 2008 at 9:32 am

You are not kidding when you call these “No-fail”! My baking skills are pretty much limited to slice-n-bake and to be honest, I’m even pretty sloppy with my slice-work :) I made these for a party this weekend and they came out FABULOUS. Seriously, my friends were shocked that I had made these from scratch. Thanks for the great recipe!

Sheri October 30, 2009 at 4:51 pm

one of my fav recipes EVER!
I know it by heart, have made it so many times since you posted it
Last night I made this into actual cookies- increased the flour, sadly no idea by how much- made best cookies, husband and both kids raved!

Cindy P August 17, 2010 at 9:39 am

These sound awesome. Cannot wait to make them. Only problem today is I actually have no baking chips of any type in our pantry!!