Chips Gone Wild!

by on February 17, 2008 · 17 comments

The original name for these cookies is “3 Chip Cookies”, but today I’m calling them “Chips Gone Wild!” for obvious reasons.

I’m wrong a lot and this was one of those times. See, I thought using three types of chips would be overkill and that the flavors would all cancel each other out. But no, they mingled happily together in harmony with the crispy cereal which is a key factor in what makes these cookies good. Maybe without the cereal, the chips wouldn’t get along so well? I don’t know, but these were great and all the reviewers on the sugar web site agreed.

Not aware of how delicious they’d be, I only made half batch. Below are the measurements. I weighed everything as I went along, so if you use the metric system, you’re in luck. Of course those who use the metric system probably can’t find butterscotch chips. If that’s the case, just use whatever chips you can find and maybe throw in some Smarties or something.

cookies

Chips Gone Wild! Cookies

4 oz unsalted butter (114 grams)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (96 grams)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
1 teaspoon vanilla (5 ml)
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour (165 grams)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (2.5 ml)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda (1.25 ml)
1/2 teaspoon salt (2.5 ml)
1 cups white chips (180 grams)
1 cups semi-sweet chips (180 grams)
1 cups butterscotch chips (180 grams)
1 cups Rice Krispies cereal (40 grams)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (180 degrees C).

Have ready two ungreased baking sheets

In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and both sugars until creamy (do not over-cream). Beat in the vanilla and egg, beating just until mixed.

In a separate bowl, thoroughly stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture and stir until almost blended. Add all chips and the cereal and stir until well mixed.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls, spacing 2 ½ inches apart, onto cookies sheets. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown around edges.

Makes about 30 cookies

Published on February 17, 2008

Emiline February 17, 2008 at 3:22 pm

I’ll have to try these sometime. I love the idea of incorporating cereal into a cookie.
We have a box of Apple Cinnamon Cheerios in our closet that’s been there for a few weeks. Any suggestions?

Terri @ The Burning Kitchen February 17, 2008 at 4:27 pm

These look great. I am a cookie freak so these are definitely going on the list to try.

Thanks….terri

Claire February 17, 2008 at 7:12 pm

I have a three chip blondie that is really good! You would think that such a combo *would* be too much, but it’t not. In fact, it’s really good!

Anna February 17, 2008 at 7:51 pm

Emiline, as mentioned in the email — Cheerios Muffins!

Terri, I hope you like them. Also, I’ve had fun reading your blog. I think Todd would love those ribs.

Claire, I just checked your blog and found what I think is the blondie you are referring to.

Melanie February 17, 2008 at 8:06 pm

This is being bookmarked for sure! I’m off all desserts for Lent, but the day after Easter, these are going in my belly!

Jacey February 18, 2008 at 9:09 am

Your Cheshire cat cup is awesome!

Noble Pig February 18, 2008 at 9:44 am

These look wonderful. I love the idea of the rice krispies as well. I’m sure the butterscotch chips also add to the flavor. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

tori February 18, 2008 at 12:45 pm

These look great! I have a doctor appointment on Friday and was looking for a different cookie to bring my doctor. These look perfect!

Kelly February 18, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Hi Anna,
I just made these and they are fantastic! I used butterscotch and then 2 cups of the semi sweet/white swirl chips. It was cheaper than purchasing them seperately. On a side note, I also used splenda brand brown sugar blend. This wasn’t to cut the sugar, which would really be a moot point in such a cookie, but because I couldn’t find brown sugar anywhere. I live in St. Kitts, which is a small island in the carribean. Although it was super expensive, I couldn’t tell the difference between that and real brown sugar. In case you or any of your readers were wondering about the product, I thought I would give my 2 cents. Or 12 dollars, which is what it cost. :)
Kelly

Anna February 18, 2008 at 3:15 pm

I’m glad everyone likes the sounds of these cookies. I found the recipe while I was cleaning out a junk drawer. It was on the jacket of a pack of brown sugar.

Speaking of which, I find it amusing that Kelly couldn’t find brown sugar on an island whose economy revolved around sugar. I don’t think that’s the case anymore. I suppose it’s tourism, but it’s still funny.

Claire February 18, 2008 at 9:36 pm

Yep…those are the ones! That’s an interesting observation about the sugar…hmmm!

Alison February 18, 2008 at 11:57 pm

Tried these and they were wonderful. The rice
krispies had a lovely nutty texture – which was
nice as my kids hate nuts in cookies. I used a
bar each of white, dark and milk chocolate chopped
up as we can’t get chips here.

Debbi February 21, 2008 at 6:52 am

I love the name of these cookies! I made them last night and they were great. Very crispy and crunchy. I loved the rice crispies in them, it did almost seem like there were nuts in the cookies. I loved the cheerio cookies too, loved the crunch.

Randi February 21, 2008 at 2:40 pm

We use the metric system here in Ontario and we do have butterscotch chips. I think there is a better sub for brown sugar. Maybe its sugar and mollases?

Rachel April 13, 2008 at 4:37 pm

I just made these with a few alterations and they are amazing. I used regular butter since that’s all I had (and omitted the salt) and added a little extra vanilla. I didn’t have white chocolate chips so I added 2 cups of Rice Crispie cereal, plus I wanted to finish off the box. I’m glad I did because it gave them more of a crunch. I loved the texture though- they were soft and chewy but then also crunchy at the same time. Great recipe! :)

d August 29, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I just made these. I didn’t put quite as many white chocolate chips in as called for (just personal preference) and I chilled the dough balls to get a thicker cookie. I really liked these. Yummy. Thanks Anna!

Anna August 29, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Thanks for the review, D!