Wok-Seared Chicken with Asparagus & Pistachios

by on March 27, 2008 · 10 comments

Tonight I tried a new recipe from Eating Well. It was a little too spicy for Fuzz due to that liquid fire they call “Sriracha”, but Todd loved it so I thought I’d post a picture.

I served this with plain white rice, but Eating Well suggests “a simple salad of arugula and orange sections dressed in a light vinaigrette”. Maybe next time. I think it would have to be in addition to the rice.

Wok Seared Chicken

Wok-Seared Chicken with Asparagus & Pistachios from Eating Well

1 tablespoon (15 ml) toasted sesame oil
1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 pound (450 grams) chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
4 scallions, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons (30 ml) minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon (15 ml) oyster-flavored sauce
1 teaspoon (1 ml) chile-garlic sauce (I used sriracha)
1/4 cup shelled salted pistachios (30 grams), coarsely chopped

Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add asparagus; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add chicken; cook, chicken and asparagus together, stirring, for another 4 minutes. Stir in scallions, ginger, oyster sauce and chile-garlic sauce; cook, stirring, until the chicken is cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in pistachios and serve immediately.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 208 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrate; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 175 mg sodium; 326 mg potassium.

Serves up to 4

Published on March 27, 2008

Claire March 27, 2008 at 8:29 pm

This looks absolutely delicious! I LOVE asaparagus and it’s at a reasonable price right now. I am tagging this to try. :-)

Susan March 27, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Wow, that looks real tasty! I feel the same about asparagus; I did like it when we once tried grilling it (sprinkled salt, pepper, garlic powder and a bit of canola oil). I’m going to try this tomorrow night since we happen to have all these ingredients in the fridge right now.

Anna March 27, 2008 at 10:37 pm

Claire, asparagus is about $2.99 a pound here in Austin. It usually goes down to about $1.99.

Susan, I hope you like the dish. It’s amazing how much flavor oyster sauce adds.

Jill - GlossyVeneer March 27, 2008 at 11:03 pm

I love asparagus, but my husband hates it. He usually tolerates my efforts to feed him veggies, but asparagus is the one vegetable that makes him complain so much that I find it not even worth the effort to try serving it to him. I think I’ll make some for myself sometime soon though, he works long hours this time of year as an accountant. I think this recipe looks great.

Heidi March 28, 2008 at 7:12 am

I find that all veggies I used to hate have been made palatable by evoo, salt, pepper, and then put under the broiler or at high heat so it gets caramelized and crunchy. mmmm. I’ve convinced our family to eat brussel sprouts this way also.

Jen March 28, 2008 at 3:03 pm

This is one of my favorite Eating Well recipes. I’m funny about asparagus, too. Sometimes I really like it, sometimes I don’t at all. This is one recipe where I really like. Probably because I’ll eat anything with Sriacha.

LH March 12, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I just made this, so yummy! A few substitutions, I added a tsp soy sauce and I used some minced garlic in with my ginger (paste) and skipped the chile sauce cause of the kids and added cashews instead of pistachios cause that’s what I had.

Anna March 12, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to try it with cashews/

Tracy Szente May 21, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Made this tonight for my husband and I and it was delicious:-) Will definitely be making this again in the near future thank you for such a lovely recipe:-)

Anna May 21, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Glad you liked it, Tracy! It’s one of our favorites.