Coconut Sheet Cake from Southern Living

by on April 30, 2008 · 9 comments

This is a fast cake you can throw together in a jiffy, provided you have some Coco Lopez on hand, and who doesn’t keep Coco Lopez in the pantry? Um, me. I had to go buy it, and found not only do they sell it in the booze section of the grocery store, they sell smaller cans in the baking aisle.

Anyhow, this one is good. The recipe is located here, as are reviews.

I weighed and measured out half the ingredients and baked my cake in an 8 inch square metal pan. The cake in the photo looks dry, but it wasn’t. It wasn’t as moist as one of those sour cream/sugar/coconut cakes, but it was very good.

Coconut Cake

Published on April 30, 2008

{ 9 comments }

VeggieGirl April 30, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Looks like a great “in-a-rush” cake ;0)

Jalanda April 30, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Now, I’m “in a rush” to hit the grocery store and head home to make this cake!

lisam April 30, 2008 at 2:45 pm

Hi Anna! Big fan of the blog.
The other day at whole foods I had a Carmelita cookie. It had an oatmeal/shortbread type base and a chocolate filling in the middle, so good! After googling it, I found that it was a bake-off recipe. I was wondering if you have ever made or tried this before, and if you have if there is a recipe you recommend.

Cyndi April 30, 2008 at 3:26 pm

Hi Anna,

Cake looks easy. I am going to try my hand at Rebecca Rather’s fresh coconut cake on Sunday for a family party. It calls for a bunch of fresh coconut and I am a bit nervous at making the 7 minute frosting (fear of egg whites). Have you ever tried mixing fresh coconut into either the cake batter or the frosting (as opposed to sweetened flaked coconut) and if so, what were the results?

Anna April 30, 2008 at 3:42 pm

VG and Jalanda, thanks for not thinking badly of me for my horrible “rush” joke ;).

Lisa, yes! I have made Carmelitas. Not in a while, though. They are good.

Cyndi, good luck with that! I think the fresh coconut will work well. I haven’t used fresh in a while.

Michelle W. in Calif. April 30, 2008 at 7:22 pm

I’m just jealous that Anna’s going to see Rush!!!!!

Anna April 30, 2008 at 7:38 pm

I’m pretty excited about it. I think the last band I posted about was Duran Duran so this will balance things out.

Noble Pig May 1, 2008 at 5:01 pm

Coconut sheet cake is sooooo for me. How lovely!

carol May 1, 2008 at 9:29 pm

we just saw rush in new orleans!! they played for 3 1/2 hours with a break in the middle, well worth the money. they were fantastic!!!

Your gonna love them!

Comments on this entry are closed.