Top Recipes — Early Summer 2008

Today’s a big day. Around noon, the Fed Ex guy is going to drop off some NYC Levain bakery cookies. I didn’t order the cookies from Levain, but a friend’s husband went to New York and brought some back for her. Being the kind, generous, caring person that she is, she is sending a couple to me. They will be two days old, but I will take that into account. Thanks again Dawn!

For now, here’s a Top 10. I haven’t done one in a while.

Smitten Kitchen’s Oatmeal Cookies go on the list – Great crispy texture and delicious flavor of white chocolate, salt and butter.

Coconut-Oatmeal Bars with Chocolate Chips from Food 2.0 – All-around good recipe. Easy to make and wholesome. Amenable to changes such as oil for butter, sweetened coconut for unsweetened, etc. See comments.

Marbled Peanut Butter Brownies – Pretty and delicious. Don’t skip this recipe if you like peanut butter and chocolate.

Val’s Mexican Chocolate Crunch Brownies – Easy and unique.

Ginger-Toffee Cookies – One of the best ginger cookies out there. Toffee chunks are surprisingly good.

Thick and Crunchy Cookies with Corn Flakes – I really liked these. They may not be everybody’s favorite, but I found them satisfying, crunchy and just plain good. Plus, they’re easy and serve a lot of people. They also hold up well.

Fudge Brownies with Golden Syrup – Not too cakey, not too dense. Good for bake-sales or wrapping and giving to friends.

Pineapple Cheesecake Squares – These really surprised me. I wasn’t expecting much and putting dried pineapple in cheesecake sounded strange, but the bars were excellent and I’ve received plenty of emails from people who agree.

Red Wine Chocolate Cherry Cookies — My friends really loved these and so did I. The judges on the Ultimate Recipe Showdown didn’t pick them as winners, but don’t think about that and just make them anyway. Add some extra chocolate chunks if you need to.

Comments

Anna,
    I made the marbled peanut butter brownies on Tuesday and they were AWESOME! I actually made them in a 9 x 13 pan and 1+1/2’d the recipe. They were perfect!

Thanks!

2. Erin Mylroie says

I love when you do your top 10. I always try to bake as many as I can. I trust your seal of approval. Thanks, Anna.

Oh wow, enjoy those Levain cookies. I’ve been obsessed with trying them after seeing Bobby’s Throwdown and of course, seeing the copies on your site! The top 10 is great!

Glad to have the top 10! I never know what to try next when I come on here with a cookie craving. :) Glad to see the Marbled PB Brownies are in the list. They’re TOPS!

5. Sue says

Wow! This is a great list! You really mixed it up this time. I was just making a list for the “fancy” grocery store across town. I can see a few other things I should add. :-)
    Thanks Anna!

Sue

I just ate one of those last week and thought of you. I’m hoping to try out the “wannabe” recipe soon. Enjoy your cookies!

I’m glad you all like the new list.

I’m still waiting for the Fed Ex guy. Hopefully, he’ll be here in time for dessert.

I did manage to get a cake baked and will post that soon.

I love the Red Wine Choc Cherry! My friend made them the other day and they were the best cookies I’ve had in a while.

All of those cookies look scrumptious, but those oatmeal cookies look phenomenal. I’ve had success with Smitten Kitchen’s chocolate cake recipe…gotta imagine her cookie recipes are equally as delicious. Yum!