Every Day Food Oatmeal-Raisin Bars

by on June 2, 2008 · 13 comments

A very good plain oatmeal bar from Every Day Food.

Oatmeal Raisin Bars

Oatmeal Raisin Bars

Published on June 2, 2008

VeggieGirl June 2, 2008 at 12:49 pm

It’s definitely not your imagination – they really ARE printing more cookie recipes these days! Those bars look DELISH – love your addition of the walnuts.

Lisa Ernst June 2, 2008 at 1:02 pm

These look like something my husband would love. Me too, if I substituted chocolate for the raisins! I just got back from traveling and have had a lot of fun getting “caught up” on all your posts. I’m glad to see you haven’t lost your focus on chocolate chip cookies. Can there ever be too many ccc recipes or variations?

Michelle June 2, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Sounds like I need to check out that magazine!
Thanks for the extra details you’ve been giving in describing how the things you bake turn out! I really like that!

Joe June 2, 2008 at 1:29 pm

I’ve made two out of the four bar cookies a couple weeks ago and these are also on my list to do at some point. The brownies were fudgy and rich (I made them as wedges) and the lemon squares were tasty!

Megan June 2, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Hi Anna,
I know you’re super busy, but I’ve tagged you!!

mybakingadventures.com

Janet June 2, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Those look wonderful! Thanks! Your oatmeal raisin cookies are still one of the best recipes EVER! How do these bars measure up with those cookeis? I like the idea of one pan clean up too;-) Your Lizzy is so cute!

Anna June 2, 2008 at 3:26 pm

VG, thanks for confirming that it’s not just my imagination. I also think ED’s recipes have gotten a little better — not that they were ever bad, but they seem to be shorter yet still interesting. Fewer ingredients and better twists.

Lisa, I think you will really love these — especially with the chocolate.

Michelle, thanks for noticing!

Joe, I am going to take a look at your reviews. The Rocky Road bars were next on my list, but if you already made them, well…..

Megan, thanks for the tag. I will check that out too.

Janet, these are kind of like oatmeal cookies in the form of brownies. They’re not gooey, but they’re not dry.

kristina June 3, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Everyday Food is the best mag. I’ve had a subscription for 2 years now and look forward to it every time. I’ve been dying to make these bars- sounds like they’re worth it!

Erin June 3, 2008 at 3:39 pm

These sound good! They also remind me of some Oatmeal bars I made last week. They were AWESOME–very hearty and delicious. This one has 2 sticks of butter, but I think the 4 cups of oatmeal cancels it out ;)
Check out the recipe on Scharffen Berger’s website, they are called Chocolate-Studded Oatmeal bars.

Randi June 3, 2008 at 4:08 pm

EF loves using oats!! I just made a apricot almond oat bar from ED. Its an older recipe from one of the first issues. I really like them a lot. I can’t believe I forgot to get a picture of them.

Janet June 4, 2008 at 6:05 am

I made these last night and they are very good! I used the big raisins and walnuts (per your suggestion). I am just dying to go get one this morning to have with my morning cup of coffee. Thank you again for another quick, easy, good recipe! I loved the ease of one pan clean-up too;-)

Candace June 4, 2008 at 3:48 pm

I made these today. I used regular raisins, and added 1/2 c. of chocolate chips. They were very simple and good. Seems like they would be a good recipe for kids to help with since you don’t need to use a mixer and it’s a lot of dumping ingredients in the bowl. I agree that there must be some way of lightening them – perhaps changing the butter to half canola oil and half drained applesauce?

Anna June 4, 2008 at 5:38 pm

Candace, thanks for posting the review. Good point about being a good recipe for kids! I didn’t even think of that.

I think using canola oil and applesauce would taste the taste and texture slightly, but the bars would probably still be very good since a lot of the flavor comes from oats. Nuts add more flavor too.

I wish I had more time to play around with recipes this week. In the meantime, there are probably some pre-existing lightened up oatmeal bars that are very good.