Action Vietnam Cookies

I found this recipe in a book called “Food Writer’s Favorite Cookies” where it was submitted by Betty Bernard, Food Editor, Lake Charles Press. In her entry, Betty says that a fellow staff member baked these for her son who was assigned war time duty in Vietnam and that the cookies ship well, age well and taste great. I decided to give the cookies a test run and see if they were really all that.

First off, they have a lot going on — – cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut, bananas, chocolate and uh, raisins. I must have had some traumatic past-life experience with a Raisinette, because as much as I like raisins, I don’t like them anywhere near my chocolate. So I swapped out cranberries.

The cookies are pretty good on day one. They taste like regular old banana oatmeal cookies and none of the ingredients overpower the others. I’ve packed them up tightly and plan on seeing how they keep at room temperature. Will get back to you.

Action Vietnam Cookies

Action Vietnam Cookies

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
3/4 c. solid vegetable shortening (I used butter flavored)
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 c. mashed ripe bananas (2 or 3)
1/2 c. coarsely chopped, toasted walnuts
1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1/2 c. shredded coconut
1/2 c. dried cranberries or raisins tossed in 1 tablespoon flour
1 3/4 c. quick-cooking rolled oats, uncooked

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a mixing bowl. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together shortening and brown sugar. Add egg and continue beating until ingredients are well blended. Stir in banana. Add flour mixture and stir until it is almost incorporated, then add the nuts, chocolate, coconut, dried cranberries and oats.
Drop dough from end of teaspoon onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake for 12 minutes or until done. Makes 5-6 dozen cookies.

Comments

1. Joanna says

I’m gonna have to try these because I’m an Angel Baker for the U.S. military and I’m always looking for baked goods that ship well. I sent your Levain Copy Cat Cookies in July and the Macadamia Butterscotch Blondies in June. Hopefully, these arrived in Iraq in good condition because they tasted AMAZING! I’m not sure if freezing the baked goods would help before sending them out(I just thought of it).

I made a banana oatmeal cookie a few weeks ago and these seemed to hold up the best just being in an airtight container on the counter for the longest amount of time. (It was when I’d made four different oatmeal cookies in one day.)

The recipe was from Baking Bites. Here:
    I’m not saying they would package and ship well, but interesting that they were good the longest. Shortening may be better than butter though, huh.
    I love a “kitchen sink” cookie, as these almost seem. (I wouldn’t put chocolate with raisins in the same cookie either.)
    These look good.

3. Chris C-L says

My grandma used to bake these to send to my cousin when he was in the Army. She used to pack them in empty, well cleaned, Pringles cans then put them in a box to ship. That meant the rest of us grandkids ate a lot of Pringles.

I hope all goes well with your friend. I’m allways looking for nice cookies that travel weel, because bouth my 2 sisters live far (Brazil and Italy) and I like to send them homemade cookies.

5. Janet says

I was wondering if your Oatmeal Gingersnap cookies would be a good candidate too? I was planning on making those for the care package.

6. Le Anne says

These are THE best cookies. We’ve made them for years. My mother found the recipe in the newspaper at Christmas time and made them and sent to the troops. They are delicious and they keep and ship REALLY well. I can’t speak highly enough of these cookies…and soooo yummy!!!