Ghirardelli’s New Unsweetened Chocolate Chips

by on September 10, 2008 · 12 comments

Baking season is upon us, and I’ve been running across a lot of great new products lately. For instance, Ghirardelli’s new unsweetened (100% cacao) chocolate chips. Along with tasting great, they’ve eliminated the step of chopping up a block of chocolate. Not that chopping chocolate is a pain, I rather enjoy it; but it is nice to be able to dump the unsweetened chocolate chips straight into the melting pot and save some clean-up time. As a bonus, the chips look just like Ghirardelli’s bittersweet chips. If you have a chocolate chip thief in your home, now’s your chance to foil them. Put the unsweetened chocolate chips in a clear plastic zipper bag and lay them directly in the path of the culprit. Fun!

unsweetened chocolate chips

Published on September 10, 2008

Katrina September 10, 2008 at 10:03 am

I’ve seen those. What a great trick to catch a thief! ;)

tori September 10, 2008 at 10:49 am

What if the chocolate chip thief is me???? Knowing me, I would do that and then forget and bust myself!

Karen September 10, 2008 at 11:18 am

You keep posting these cool new products from local companies (guittard and ghiradelli) that I haven’t seen yet in my stores! These look great, I HATE chopping chocolate. Probably wouldn’t hate it so much if I had a sharper knife.

Maggi September 10, 2008 at 11:39 am

Yeah, the chocolate chip thief in my house IS me. And uh…. I actually like unsweetened chocolate. I know…my husband says I’m a freak.

Oatmeal Cookie Guy September 10, 2008 at 11:46 am

Thanks for this, Anna! I’m definitely going to try these. I could only find the Ghirardelli 60% cacao semisweet chips in the store.

Megan September 10, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Where do you find these? The unsweetened chocolate (Baker’s brand)in the stores is sooooo expensive. I’m talking like $8.00 per pound. And with the holidays rapidly approaching, I go through alot of unsweetened chocolate.

clumbsycookie September 10, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!

Randi September 10, 2008 at 1:28 pm

I think Austin must be a test market or something. I havent seen( in MI) the last few products you mentioned.

Julie September 10, 2008 at 1:33 pm

HA! You’re diabolical! If these are close in price to regular block unsweetened chocolate, I’m so there. I don’t mind chopping but I hate cleaning, so if this saves me a dirty dish I’m 100% in favor of it.

jean September 10, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Hey, that’s not nice at all. As a kid I would have been very upset.

Muffy September 11, 2008 at 2:03 am

That would NOT work in my house for 2 reasons…I am the chip snacker and I eat UNsweetened chocolate from time to time (the mark of a true chocoholic)

angel September 12, 2008 at 6:38 am

Hahahah that’s just mean!