Vegan Gingerbread Muffins

by on September 23, 2008 · 10 comments

Since the tofu worked so well in the vegan pound cake, I decided to try it in a batch of wholesome muffins. Using a tofu-based gingerbread as a starting point, I added some spices, used oil instead of butter, changed the bake time and baked the gingerbread paper-lined muffins tins. Results? Very good! In fact, excellent when considering that Fuzz gobbled hers up. These will be perfect lunchbox treats!

Mastercook’s nutrition stats are below the recipe.

Vegan Gingerbread muffins

Vegan Ginger Muffins

1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour, spooned and swept (6 ½ oz)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt plus an extra pinch
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup soft silken tofu (I used Mori-Nu Lite)
1/2 cup mild molasses
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or spray with cooking spray.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves in a medium bowl. Stir very well, making sure there are no lumps of baking powder. Process or blend tofu, molasses, sugar and oil until smooth. Add tofu mixture to flour mixture and stir until mixed (don’t over-beat).

Divide mixture equally among muffin tins and bake for 18 minutes or until muffins appear done.

Makes 12

Values from Mastercook
154 Calories;
5g Fat (28.2% calories from fat);
3g Protein;
25g Carbohydrate;
2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol;
183 mg Sodium.

Published on September 23, 2008

VeggieGirl September 23, 2008 at 3:23 pm

Hooray!!! :-D

Katrina September 23, 2008 at 3:37 pm

I’m glad they turned out. They look and sound really good to me. Do you think I could sub cream cheese for the tofu? What about yogurt? Just wondering. I might try half a recipe.

clumbsycookie September 23, 2008 at 4:10 pm

You’re on a vegan kick! I had one like 2 weeks ago. I’ve read and researched a lot about vegan baking, and discovered that we can substitute eggs with a mixture of ground flax seeds and water (1 to 3 parts, for 1 egg= 1/4 cup). So not wanting to buy strange ingredients I adapted a “normal” muffin recipe, with that mixture, soy milk instead of milk, olive oil for butter and it turned out quite tasty. They kind of look like yours actually!

Amy Marie September 24, 2008 at 5:04 am

The look tasty! Plus, as a muffin, you are technically not eating a dessert! So you can have even more.

Joanna September 24, 2008 at 7:58 am

I will DEFINITELY be making these. Muffins are one of my favorite foods… any kind and I’m happy. And I usually only have gingerbread around Christmas, so this will be a nice early present.

aTxVegn September 24, 2008 at 10:38 am

It’s so nice to see two recent vegan recipes. Thanks!

Destiny September 24, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Thank you for blogging about so many vegan treats! It’s really cool that you’re letting folks know that vegan food can be just as tasty as (or better than) the standard sort.

Stephanie October 13, 2008 at 9:39 am

These are definitely kid-friendly! I just made them for my two sons (ages 6 and 3), and they thought they were fantastic!

Anna October 13, 2008 at 9:58 am

Hi Stephanie,

That’s great news!

Amber G. April 9, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I am always on the lookout for vegan baked goods recipes and this looks fabulous. I love ginger and molasses in sweet treats so this will be on my to-bake list.