Gold Medal’s Extraordinary Chocolate Chip Cookies

by on October 16, 2008 · 28 comments

We don’t have enough chocolate chip cookie recipes, so here’s another one. This one’s featured on the bag of Gold Medal flour and the full recipe is here.

The cookies were very good. Mine were a little flatter than the ones in Gold Medal’s photo, but they were still excellent. The edges were crispy, the cookies were dense and kind of chewy and they had a lot of flavor.

One big recommendation. If you make the full batch and you use unsalted butter, it’s a good idea to increase the salt to at least 1 teaspoon. I used the equivalent of 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. The cookies had a salty finish, but I kind of like that in a chocolate chip cookie. If you are indifferent towards levels of salt or just don’t like tasting it at all, I’d increase the salt to 1 teaspoon. Again, that’s only if you use unsalted butter. I used European style butter and I think that made them extra good. Unfortunately, I want to go eat 10 more cookies and am having a hard time staying away. Last night I dreamed I gained 81 pounds.

Chocolate Chip Cookie

Published on October 16, 2008

snookydoodle October 16, 2008 at 2:19 pm

this look so so good. Cookies how can you resist these delicious cookies. I don t blame you for wanting to eat ten more :)

clumbsycookie October 16, 2008 at 2:32 pm

81 pounds in one night! Scary! I don’t think we can never have too much ccc, so keep’em coming! I virtualy ate a couple, so how many pounds would that be?

Amy October 16, 2008 at 2:44 pm

I bought a bag of Gold Medal flour this weekend and saw that recipe and thought of making them. Maybe I will this weekend.

judi0044 October 16, 2008 at 2:50 pm

I’m traveling again and I saw your name while I was reading a magazine on the plane. Did I miss a post that you had won the Domino Sugar and C&H Sugar Recipe Contest. Congrats! It was the Great American Bake Sale – No Kid Hungry which I seem to recall reading about somewhere.

Katrina October 16, 2008 at 2:52 pm

And we probably haven’t had enough cookies lately! ;) Wow, 81 pounds, interesting that it was 8-1, not just 80. Every pounds counts! These do look yummy!

Anna October 16, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Hi Judy,

Yes! I won that contest. I always feel braggy when I post that stuff, but I did win and was extremely happy. The cookie recipe should appear on Domino Sugar bags very soon. It’s a spin on double chocolate cookies.

Katrina, I thought of that today too. Why 81 and not just 80?

VeggieGirl October 16, 2008 at 2:58 pm

Ooooh, yum.

Katrina October 16, 2008 at 3:14 pm

I was thinking that maybe Levain’s in on 81st St., but it’s on about 74th, I think, so it can’t be that. Hmmm, there’s got to be something to that! Maybe you should check out 81st while you’re in NY. Have a great time! Can’t wait to hear!

bakingblonde October 16, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Those look perfect, if they were in my house I would gain 80lbs!!

Sue October 16, 2008 at 4:33 pm

Those are really attractive cookies, and they must be good, because it seems that you don’t usually have a problem tasting and then moving them on.

Congratulations on your win! I don’t think Domino sugar is distributed here. When it appears on the bags give a heads up and I’ll see if they post it on their website, assuming of course that they have one.

Katrina October 16, 2008 at 5:43 pm

The winning Domino Sugar cookie contest recipe is already on their site.
Yeah, Anna!

Sue October 16, 2008 at 10:48 pm

Thanks Katrina! I’ll go take a look.

Sue October 16, 2008 at 10:50 pm

Mmmmmm! Chocolate and tangerine, with a little white chocolate! I just looked at the winning recipe and it sounds wonderful. Great job Anna!

Therese B. October 17, 2008 at 6:08 am

Anna!

Congrats on your winning!! YAHOO…the recipe looks mmmm…mmm…good! Tangerine peel…very interesting/very cool! I will be trying that out for sure!

ENJOY NYC…! Think…Levain..THINK…LEVAIN.
This is my e-mail hypnosis!!! tee hee! I hope you get to check out some great bakeries!
Regardless..enjoy.

Sara October 17, 2008 at 7:35 am

These look really delicious. Have a great trip!

Jen October 17, 2008 at 7:40 am

Hi Anna,
The link to the recipe is currently not working. I think the problem may be that the “h” for the http part of the address is missing. I think adding the “h” should take care of the problem.

Jen

Anna October 17, 2008 at 7:42 am

Thanks Jen!

Alexandra Bruskoff October 17, 2008 at 7:49 am

Hi Anna,
Have great trip to my hometown of NYC. If you have time, check out the banana cream with Nilla wafers from Magnolia Bakeshop- It’s ridiculously delicious (I think I just read that they just opened another shop in midtown?). When I go, I bring an extra bag of Nilla wafers with me so I can add more into my pudding- sad but true! Enjoy!
Alexandra

cookienurse October 17, 2008 at 10:03 am

Congratulations, on winning the contest, Anna!
You really have incredible talent!! I was wondering, your chocolate chips look fantastic in the photo. What brand of chips did you use? Ghiradelli’s?

Cocoazilla October 17, 2008 at 9:52 am

Wow those look amazing. I need to stop looking at this post, right now!

Priscilla October 17, 2008 at 12:55 pm

Anna- I really like this recipe and have made it many times. Years ago, when I clipped the recipe off the GM flour bag, it was called “Mary’s Chocolate Chip Cookies”. The headnote said “Mary Bartz, resident cookie expert in the Betty Crocker Kitchens, is famous for these cookies. On special days when she brings them to the office, her cookie jar empties within minutes. They are everyone’s favorite!” The only difference is that the old recipe made only 3 1/2 dozen and baked them for 12 to 15 minutes. It used “rounded measuring tablespoonfuls” of dough.

Congratulations on your great win in Domino. The cookies sound delicious and I hope to try them as soon as I can get some tangerines.

Anna October 18, 2008 at 6:25 am

Priscilla,

That’s interesting! I didn’t know the recipe was that old. This recipe is definitely a keeper.

Also, I used Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips.

danielle October 18, 2008 at 10:42 am

Great pic. of the cookies. Did u chill the dough first? Enjoy NYC!!!!!!! R u going to Levain??

Bakerista October 20, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Wow, your site is A M A Z I N G!! I will definitely be coming back! And congrats on your win! That’s so awesome! :)

Katherine April 30, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Yes, these are extraordinary chocolate chip cookies! I made half a batch yesterday, and now wish I made the whole batch. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

Sara August 3, 2010 at 4:23 pm

This is by far the BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe ever! I always use this recipe and everyone loves the cookies I bake!

connie feliciello October 7, 2010 at 10:55 pm

The first time i saw this recipe for extraordinary chocolate chip cookies, I made them!!! Oh my god they are just soooo good…do you have a similar recipe for oatmeal cookies????

Angela March 5, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I make these all the time. If yours turned out flatter, it may be due to size. I made mine very large – the dough is walnut sized. I use Ghiardelli chips, too. Oddly enough, although the recipe was on the back of Gold Medal flour, I found they turned out much better with King Arthur unbleached flour. I’m very particular about my ingredients. :)