Sweet Potato Pie

by on November 25, 2008 · 22 comments

Last night at dinner Todd told me one of the guests was bringing sweet potato casserole. My first thought was “What am I going to do with the 5 pounds of sweet potatoes I bought?” and my second was “Hallelujah!” Thanksgiving Day’s cooking schedule just got a little less hectic.

Since I’m in that weird period where the make-ahead dishes are done and everything else is must be cooked the day of the feast, I decided to make a sweet potato pie for the office staff at Fuzz’s school. I’d never made one before, so I used this recipe. 584 people can’t be wrong, no? Well, we’ll see. I’m hoping to get some feedback from the tasters. Plus, I made some changes, which I wrote below.

The pie crust was made by my good friend Marie Callender. I wanted to make it myself, but realized that I only have one pie dish (crazy!) and it was currently occupied by a pecan pie.

Update: Reviewers said this pie was good, but on the sweet side. I went back and read the reviews and a lot of people cut the sugar to 3/4 cup and used these proportions (1/2 granulated, 1/4 brown). So that’s what I’d do next time.

Sweet Potato Pie

Sweet Potato Pie

1 pound sweet potato, cut into thirds
4 oz salted butter, melted
1 cup granulated sugar (210 grams)
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 9 inch pie crust (homemade or Vodka crust)

Cook sweet potatoes in microwave. Let cool, then remove peels.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Break up sweet potatoes and put in food processor. Add butter and sugar and pulse 5 times to mix. Add milk, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Puree until smooth – mine still had tiny lumps, but they weren’t a problem in the end.

Pour mixture into pie crust. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Published on November 25, 2008

VeggieGirl November 25, 2008 at 12:46 pm

LOVE SWEET POTATOES!!!

Just saw your Thank-You post. No, thank YOU!! :-)

Joanna November 25, 2008 at 1:03 pm

i hope this turns out good!!! it looks terrific! i made 4 different recipes of sweet potato pie last year and hated all of them. haha i think i’m more of a pumpkin pie person.

Rachel B November 25, 2008 at 1:23 pm

Ha, ha! Marie’s making my pie crusts this year, too. :)

Carole R. November 25, 2008 at 1:50 pm

Marie also mkes my pie crusts. I prefer sweet potato pie to pumpkin pie. I have a bunch of sweet potatoes and will try your pie this afternoon. It is snowing and frigid in Cleveland so I will welcome the heat from the oven.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE

Sue November 25, 2008 at 1:50 pm

Sweet potato pie sounds good! I must confess I’ve never made it, but one time I made a sweet potato casserole, that tasted just like pie without the crust. I felt it was too sweet for a side dish and I’ve never made it again.

Anna, have you ever made that vodka pie crust? I can’t remember. I tried it last year when Cook’s Illustrated published it and I found it very difficult to work with. I have several other pie crust recipes that turn out great, so I’m not inclined to try it again. What was your experience?

Anna November 25, 2008 at 1:54 pm

Sue, yes. I made the vodka pie crust for my pecan pie. I made one recipe, but didn’t have enough dough for two pies. So part of the dough is in the refrigerator and the rest is at the bottom of my pecan pie which is sitting in the freezer right now.

Katrina November 25, 2008 at 2:28 pm

1 pound down, 4 to go! ;) The pie looks good!

Emily November 25, 2008 at 3:11 pm

I love sweet potato pie. I think I prefer it over pumpkin, actually.

Marie Callender is my friend too. She makes the best chicken pot pies. But they’re really fattening.

Tiffany November 25, 2008 at 3:16 pm

I used to work for Marie Callenders. I made those darn pies every single day at the beginning of my shift. Your pie looks just as good if not better than any of the pumpkin pies we sold back then. It looks great, and I’m sure it tastes wonderfu. The recipe sounds really yummy. Now if I could only get the recipe for that vodka pie crust….?

Tiffany –
The Cookie Blog

Sue November 25, 2008 at 3:59 pm

Tiffany, just type Vodka pie crust into your search engine and you’ll get a number of hits. Smitten Kitchen, and Serious Eats both have recipes for it.

Anna November 25, 2008 at 4:03 pm

Don’t worry — I mailed Tiffany the recipe :).

Barbara Hahn November 25, 2008 at 4:05 pm

Anna, I saw the vodka pie crust while on our summer vacation. I read food magazines when we are in the hotels.
I have a special pie with a theme that I have to make real soon. I am planning on make the pie crust with white rum. The percentage of the alcholic is the same, so I think it will work. I know the vodka pie crust doesn’t leave a taste, but I’m hoping rum pie crust will be tasted in my pie crust. It will go with my pie theme. Do you think the rum in the pie crust will make any difference to the texture of the pie crust?

Anna November 25, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Hi Barbara,

Rum seems like a really good choice for your pie. Since the alcohol content is the same, you should get the same chemical reaction.

snooky doodle November 25, 2008 at 4:49 pm

this looks nice :)

Therese B. November 25, 2008 at 7:46 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Anna!

Thank you….thank you…Ms. inspirational of all things cookies and beyond! THANK YOU!

Truly I am thankful for you! And….my hubby/John who is making the pies for our Turkey day family gatherings. He has inherited that great skill of pie crust making from his mom. Pumpkin…and Pecan…traditional.

May you dear Anna/Fuzz and fam. have a truly wonderful Thanksgiving!

Your pumpkin pie looks divine! Pumpkin is an aphrodisiac..did you know that?

Catharina November 26, 2008 at 7:55 am

Since you had a pre-Thanksgiving thank you yesterday, I also wanted to say THANK YOU for this great website! Everytime I try a new cookie recipe, my boyfriend asks “So, is this from Cookie Madness?” My favorite recipes so far are the Dorie Greenspan peanut butte fudge brownies and Bev’s chocoloate chip cookies. I’ve left comments on each of those recipe posts, so future readers have the feedback.

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!

Gayle November 26, 2008 at 10:17 am

Thank you Anna!

I so love visiting your site, reading your comments and making many of your recipes. They have all been delicious. Thing is, between working all week and baking all weekend, I no longer have time for cleaning the house……. oh well :o)

Thank you again and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Warm regards,
Gayle

Maalie November 26, 2008 at 10:19 am

That looks delumtious! For the sake of us ignorant Europeans, please could you tell us how big your “cup” is? I have cups that range from small coffee cups up to huge mugs! Thanks!

Anna November 26, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Our cups are 8 fluid oz, but when measuring by weight, sugar would weigh about 7.5 oz or 210 grams.

giz November 26, 2008 at 10:36 pm

I don’t think it can get any less complicated. I have to try sweet potato pie at least once before my bucket list runs out.

Kathie November 17, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Our Middle School Bakers made 2 of these pies today. One for themselves and one for an administrative team meeting. Everyone gave it a thumbs up! (did the 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar…not too sweet…just right). Thanks for this recipe!

Anna November 17, 2009 at 7:01 pm

Kathie, thanks for the review. I’m making one today that uses 1 1/2 pounds of potatoes and only 1/2 cup of brown sugar. I’m anxious to see if it will be as good as this one. I’m glad you reduced the sugar in this one to 3/4 cup, now we’ll have to see how a pie with even less sugar works.