White Beer Cookies

As promised, here’s a Christmas cookie. I’ve waited almost a year to make these so now I can cross that off my list. Plus, I can also say I’ve tasted white beer.

Here are my thoughts — and I want to give these a fair review because I am not a huge fan of cakey cookies and these are somewhat cakey.

1) The ingredients are unusual — coriander, honey, white beer. How creative!
2) Edges are crispy
3) Icing is critical — says optional, but it’s really critical to get the full effect of the cookies
4) Husband loves the cookies and commented that they weren’t too sweet

I’d love some second opinions. This recipe made it to the finals of a cookie contest, so it should be a real hit with certain palates.

Recipe Here

White Beer Cookies

Comments

1. Susan says

Hi Anna, I’m not much of a baker, but your site has definitely inspired me. However, I seem to be having a problem when cookie recipes instruct to add the dry ingredients to the softened butter/sugar/egg mixture and blend them together. For some reason when I do this, I end up with little individual “beads” of dough, rather than a smooth mixture. I then find when I bake the cookies they end up hard as rocks. Help! what on earth am I doing wrong?? (This doesn’t happen to all my cookies…I make a great biscotti). Thank you for your thoughts. Susan

i saw that cookie on the recipe showdown show. it sounds interesting. i wish i could try it!! my parents don’t drink beer though and i can’t buy alcohol yet.

3. Pam says

Hi Anna,

This is completely off topic, but your comment about Christmas cookies reminded me of a tip you might find useful if you are making any decorated cookies this year. I just finished decorating about 200 of them this weekend using Wilton’s Cookie Icing which comes in plastic squeeze bottles. It’s a great icing but in order to use it I always have to warm it a little. I discovered that I could put the opened bottles in my crockpot set on low and it kept the icing at the perfect temperature for hours. Much more convenient than constantly going back and forth to the microwave, plus I could keep several bottles in different colors at the right temp at the same time.

These sound good! We have some excess beer left over from a party, and I think it would work in these. I’m intrigued!

5. Barbara Hahn says

I think the taste would be great with the beer and I’m not a beer drinker. I just think it is good in food. I’ll have to try it. I don’t know what “white beer” is so I’ll have to ask my daughter who went to school to be a beer brewer. After much money and living in CA, she decided to go back to being a pharmacist. Oh well, she can always say she tried something that she thought she wanted to do instead of sitting on the sidelines wishing she had done it.

6. Alley says

Oh, man, Hoegaarden (and it’s cheaper cousin, Blue Moon) is pretty much my favorite beer, particularly because of that fantastic coriander/orange flavor. I’m totally making these!

Heather, I didn’t think the beer itself was strong but the cookies had a bitterness to them that I took to be the beer.