More Amazing Hard Boiled Egg Chocolate Chip Cookies

Until I settle on an Easter recipe, here’s one that might come in handy.

The original version made two cookies and used half a hard boiled egg. This version uses the whole egg and yields 4. I haven’t tried scaling the recipe up any more than that, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

chocolate chip cookies

Amazing Hard Boiled Egg Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoon (180 grams) all purpose flour
4 ounces (114 grams) cold unsalted butter – unsalted European style works well
1/2 (.5 ml) teaspoon salt
1/4 (1 ml) teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (70 gram) granulated sugar
1/4 cup (56 grams) brown sugar
1 hard boiled egg, shell removed
1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) vanilla extract
handful of chocolate chips

Combine flour and butter in food processor. Pulse until mixture is mealy and coarse. Add the salt and baking soda and pulse to mix. Add both sugars and hard boiled egg. Pulse again until mixture is mealy looking. Add in the vanilla and pulse until mixture just begins to come together.

Dump mixture into a bowl, add chocolate chips and shape into two balls. You will see egg whites in dough – they’ll disappear as the cookies bake.

Bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes or until cookies appear lightly browned around edges. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to rack to finish cooling.
Important: Let cool completely before serving. The texture gets better as the cookies cool. It’s even better if you cool the cookies, freeze them, then thaw them.

Makes 4 big cookies

Comments

I have made your chocolate chip recipe times 4 and made small cookies with it and it has turned out great. I just made some for the kids’ teachers and gave them to them yesterday. They were a HUGE hit and everyone loved the idea of it. I wouldn’t be surprised if you gain a bunch of new readers from them!

These look good, and for people who have a lot of hard boiled eggs around after this weekend, this will be a fantastic way to use some of them!

I loved the idea of this cookie when you first posted about it. How fabulous! I really need to hard boil some eggs (’tis the season, anyway), and make these cookies! What a great use for leftover Easter eggs!

Ahhh, the cookie! I make them all the time. The ARE great for little gifts because people are just in awe when you mention the HBE. And I just emailed Rita because I saw a picture of hers on flickr, just to say, Sigh. Scary to think about how many HBE cookies you could make with all the leftover HBE’s about to be around! ;) Great post/reminder, Anna.

5. Michelle P. says

Since i’ve discovered this recipe, I’ve probably made it a million times over! It’s an amazing recipe, and always a hit. I’ve scaled up the recipe to make batches of 8, with no problems at all. Muah!

Great reminder Anna! I’ll actually have to bake them, since our tradicional cake for Easter here in Portugal is a kind of brioche baked with whole boiled eggs inside (in their shell) and my cousin just baked a bunch of those!

P.S. I LOVE that you included in the recipe to remove the shell from the egg before adding it to the ingredients! ;)
    And remember, always rinse your hair after shampooing!

Tori and Michelle,

Thanks for letting us all know that scaling up works. Four cookies isn’t practical for a lot of people. It’s good for gifts or if you’re just making a couple of cookies for yourself and a friend, but I think people will be using at least 2 eggs for this one.

9. d says

I’ll have to make these again. I made them last summer and we loved them. I tried the oatmeal ones too. Tasty as well.

I tried these with a hard boiled egg I saved from my deviled eggs (made from dyed eggs). Delicious! Thank you for posting a recipe I never would have tried but turned out great!