Nutella Lava Cookies (V.2)

This is adapted from yesterday’s recipe.

I miss Italy.

Nutella Lava Cookie

Nutella Lava Cookies

2 oz (56 grams) chopped hazelnuts plus about 1 tablespoon unsalted butter**
3 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, divided use
1 cup (170 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips (Guittard)
1 large egg
1/3 cup (65 grams) granulated sugar
1/2 scant teaspoon (a little less than 2 ml) salt
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
1/2 cup (63 grams) lightly spooned and leveled flour
1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) baking powder
8 teaspoons Nutella

Melt butter in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add chopped hazelnuts and sauté, stirring often, for 4-5 minutes or until aromatic. Remove nuts from skillet and lay on a piece of foil to cool and crisp.

Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and stir in chocolate chips. Stir until melted; remove from heat and let cool slightly.

Beat the egg, sugar, salt and vanilla in a medium bowl for about 2 minutes using high speed of an electric hand-held mixer. Beat in the melted chocolate mixture.

Thoroughly stir together the flour and baking powder, then stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture and nuts. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for an hour or more.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Working one at a time, scoop up generous heaping tablespoons of dough and shape into a mounds a little larger than a golf ball. Press a hole into the mound and stuff it with a teaspoon of chilled Nutella. Seal the hole with some more dough.

Place dough balls about 3 inches apart on lined baking sheet. Bake cookies one sheet at a time for exactly 12 minutes. Cool 3 to 5 minutes.

Makes 8 large cookies

I used a 2 oz package of Fisher “Chef Ready” chopped hazelnuts.

Comments

I really liked the ones from the other day I made with the Nutella in the middle. Just really kicked them up a notch. Not to mention the hazenuts would be awesome!
    Kevin has been asked to go to Italy (Venice) in May. We’re still trying to see if I can go with him!

ha ha! yes, once you go to Italy you always dream of it, forever.
    come see my latest non-diet food creation–they came out perfectly.

Anna, these look positively scrumptious!!
    Have you taste tested your Italian Nutella in comparison with American Nutella? My daughter tells me the Nutella she has had in Europe in less sweet than what we get here.

Sue, my American Nutella tasted the same as the Nutella from Italy. Mine was in little single size servings.

5. Janet says

I could just climb into that photo and start munching….love nutella. Looks soooo good. Thanks!

6. Ginny says

These are great! I couldn’t find hazelnuts at the store but they were still delicious. Thanks for sharing.

7. Sue says

Thanks for the recipe, these were loved by the folks at the dinner I brought them to. I may have missed it but I think the step where the nuts are actually added to the dough is not included in the recipe (I assume before they’re chilled). The nutella flavor didn’t really stand out among so much richness but the texture was nice and they were very chocolatey.

Hi Sue,

I could have sworn I put the nuts into the recipe, but when I checked the instructions the phrase “add nuts” wasn’t there. Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed it.

About the Nutella, I thought the flavor was pretty noticeable since the Nutella is not mixed in with the batter but is alone in the center of the cookie. However, it does have a lot of richness to compete with.

Another thought is that we could make the cookies using the original recipe, swap out pecans for hazelnuts and add some hazelnut flavor instead of or along with the Nutella.