Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes

by on April 10, 2009 · 17 comments

Fuzz’s friend spent the night and I’m glad she did because Fuzz needed some emotional support on the tongue guard. At first, she was fine and joked that she sounded like Myrtle from Harry Potter. But last night the realization that her speech would be different for many months hit and she started to cry and wonder if people would make fun. We told her they wouldn’t and she felt better, but I’m guessing she was bummed to wake up and find it still there.

To keep her mind off the tongue guard, I’ve tried to keep Fuzz super busy.  One activity was making these cupcakes. They’re vegan because the girls had planned to share them with some vegan friends, but the meet-up got canceled and now we have to share these with omnivores  I’m fairly certain no one will complain because these are actually moister and more delicious than some regular cupcakes. I’ll post another pictures soon, but for now here’s a photo of the cupcakes the girls did themselves.

Vegan Cupcakes

Here’s a better photo.

Vegan Cupcakes 3

Double Batch Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
Adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World!

2 cups (480 ml) soy milk
2 teaspoon (10 ml) apple cider vinegar or regular vinegar
2 cups (9 oz/250 grams) all-purpose flour
2/3 cup (60 grams) unsweetened natural cocoa powder (Dutch is okay too)
1 1/2 teaspoon (7 ml) baking soda
1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) salt
1 1/2 cup (295 grams) granulated sugar
2/3 cup (180 ml) vegetable oil
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract

Fluffy Frosting
1/2 cup (98 grams) Spectrum or other non-hydrogenated shortening
1/2 cup (114 grams) Earth Balance or other non-hydrogenated margarine
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar (about a pound)
1 1/2 teaspoons (7 ml) vanilla extract
1/4 cup (60 ml) soy milk

(For chocolate frosting, add about half cup of cocoa powder or to taste)

Preheat oven to 350°F (176 C). Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.

Stir or whisk soy milk and vinegar together in a large mixing bowl. Let it sit for a few minutes to curdle.

Meanwhile, thoroughly mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.

Stir the sugar, oil and vanilla into the soy milk mixture and whisk until foamy.

Add half of the dry mixture (flour etc.) to wet mixture and stir very well until mixed – batter might be slightly lumpy, but try to remove the big lumps. Add remaining flour mixture and stir until mixed. Pour batter into muffin cups dividing evenly between all 24 cups and bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Published on April 10, 2009

Sue April 10, 2009 at 11:36 am

This looks like it was a fun activity! Tell Fuzz and her friend that they did a nice job.
:-)
Funny, I was thinking about chocolate cupcakes last night too.

VeggieGirl April 10, 2009 at 11:46 am

Lovely cupcakes that they made!!

Louise April 10, 2009 at 12:00 pm

I doubt the omnivores would realize they’re eating chocolate cupcakes meant for vegans. Nice job!!

clumbsycookie April 10, 2009 at 12:41 pm

The girls did a nice job! I’ve eaten vegan treats sometimes and never complain ;). I hope feels better about her tongue guard, I’ve also had one but mine was only during the night, so that was better. I had to use one cause my dentist said I have a very nervous tongue :O!

Katrina April 10, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Great job Fuzz and friend! Mmmm!

snooky doodle April 10, 2009 at 2:07 pm

these look delicious. I bet fuzz enjoyed making these nice idea :)

Kiersten April 10, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Mmm, I love that recipe. Love the colored sprinkles on top.

Kerstin April 10, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Fuzz and her friend did a lovely job decorating! I hope she feels better about the tongue guard soon – I’m sure she’ll adjust quickly :)

barb April 10, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Anna~

Feel free to deliver a lovley cupcake to an apt complex off parmer!..:) haha

Hope you have a great Easter Sunday

Barb

HeartofGlass April 10, 2009 at 5:27 pm

I’m very sorry to hear about Fuzz and the tongue guard, but glad you were able to take her mind off of it with such a lovely and tasty burst of creativity.

Todd April 10, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Cupcakes without meat in them? Surely, you jest.

Tracy April 10, 2009 at 10:50 pm

Orthodontia is not much fun. Hang in there fuzz.

Interesting thing about the tongue guard. My brother had a tongue thrust when he was little and some kind of a speech therapist came to our house every week or so and worked with him to fix it. It’s interesting how the approaches change over the years.

shannon abdollmohammadi April 11, 2009 at 10:44 am

Anna,

My girl had the tounge gard when she was 6 or 7 (can’t remember). She hated it so much because she thought she looked like a vampire. Do you have to turn the little thing with the key?

PS the cupcakes look like they were a ton of fun.

Anna April 11, 2009 at 10:57 am

Hi Shannon,

I’ll tell Fuzz a friend of mine’s little girl had one too. That will make her feel better. No, we don’t have to turn this thing with a key.

Elyse April 11, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Hope Fuzz is feeling better!! Tongue-guard schmong-guard, she’s precious no matter what! And I’m sure these cupcakes were a great distraction. They look delicious!!

jennywenny April 13, 2009 at 10:46 am

Sorry about the mouthguard, thats frustrating for fuzz.

I also made these cupcakes at the weekend and did a similar frosting but I thought it tasted horrible. I was making a soup with coconut milk and it occurred to me that a coconut cream frosting would probably be nicer and tastier.

I’m also hoping to find a vegan almond/coconut cupcake which I think might go nicely with a coconut milk/chocolate frosting. I’d love to hear if you have any ideas!!

lorijade May 9, 2009 at 2:59 pm

I love cupcakes. In france, it’s very fashion!