Jumbo M&M Chip Cookies

A few weeks ago I posted my favorite thin and crispy M&M cookie — the kind with lots of crinkles and folds and very little chewiness. This cookie, adapted from a Land o’ Lakes recipe, is the opposite. It’s a thick, sturdy dough perfect for holding together loads of M&Ms and chocolate. I reduced the salt slightly from the original since 2 teaspoons seemed like a lot, but I think the cookies would have been good either way. With all the candy, the salt should balance out.

One thing I noticed was that the dough was pretty dry. It wasn’t dry in a bad way, it just had a high proportion of flour to other ingredients and I’m a spoon lightly and sweep flour measurer. So be careful adding the flour.

What I liked about these cookies was how sturdy they were and how good they looked wrapped individually. If I had a “Bake Sale” category, I would file it there….but I think I deleted by “Bake Sale” category.

jumbo MM cookies

Jumbo M&M Chip Cookies

4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (19 oz/532 grams)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 sticks cool unsalted butter, cut up (12 oz/336 grams)
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (240 grams)
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar (250 grams)
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup M&Ms

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.

Cream butter in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer. Beat in the sugar and brown sugar until creamy, then beat in the eggs and vanilla. Continue beating, scraping bowl, until well mixed. By hand or using lowest speed of mixer, gradually adding flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and M&Ms.
Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls, 2 inches apart, onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until light golden brown. Let stand 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets.

Makes about 26 cookies

Comments

VG, maybe I will. I’m not sure why I got rid of it in the first place.

Cindy, that’s a good point! Maybe I’ll change the title.

2. K says

I was looking for your bake sale category the other day and couldn’t find it. I did find a “top 10″ bake sale list in your top tens though.

I’ve got a plethora of M&M’s right now, Hmmm? What should I do?
    Looks like that ghost is gonna snatch those in your photo. Hope you got to them first.

I like this kind better than the flatish ones. Thanks for all you M&M cookies research. It’s a tough job, I know, but somebody’s gotta do it.

4. C L says

These sound terrific! You had my attention at “M&M”! ;) I might have to make a test batch to send to the cookie hounds at work, before I send them to my friends and family at various colleges. :) Might also give these away at our neighborhood Harvest Festival/Trunk and Treat. :)

Huh! Just the other day, I received a chocolate chip cookie recipe really similar to this one from a friend of mine. her family recipe. It had baking powder in it too. Crazy! Signs everywhere that I should try this recipe. I am curious about what the baking powder will do, though…does this cookie have a sort of cakiness going on??

Shauna, they weren’t cakey. However, they did have “a bit of cakiness” going on, as you described. In other words, I wouldn’t call them cakey, but they had a higher proportion of flour and were a little less buttery and crispy than other cookies.

7. Erin M says

I love m and M cookies. I underbake them a little and poke M and Ms in the top AFTER they come out of the oven so they won’t bleed. I’ll have to give this one a try. I’m still trying to squeeze in that apple pie you put up last week.

I’ve been hoping to have the time to make one of the recipes I sent to you a few weeks ago, but I haven’t been home enough to accomplish that. It’s looking like I have to let that idea go!
    I’m glad to know that these are good and it sounds like they would travel well to picnics and family get togethers!

9. Mansi says

M&M cookies are my favorites too, yours look nice and chewy!

I’d also like to invite you to dish out something sweet for the Sweet celebrations event on my blog if you can!:)

10. Sarah says

I made these the other day for a bake sale and they went like hotcakes! Everyone loved them, and several people asked for the recipe. I told them I got it here! It’s a keeper for sure!