Peanut Butter and M&M cookies were originally an afterthought -- something to make for party in case the cake didn't work out. The cake did work out, and so did the cookies! They are crinkly, crispy, dark and sweet thanks to all the sugar in the recipe. They are on the sweet side, but if you add salted peanuts to counteract the sweet, they are perfect.
Peanut Butter and M&M Cookies are still a favorite, but I usually halve the recipe. Sometimes I even quarter it by using 2 tablespoons of beaten egg in place of one whole egg. Also, the original recipe calls for dark brown sugar, but Peanut Butter and M&M Cookie can be made with light brown sugar. I might even prefer them with brown, but haven't made up my mind yet.
When I first posted this I didn't put a full yield. With a medium cookie scoop, the yield is around 48 cookies, but you may get slightly fewer than that. I tend to be very liberal with the M&Ms which is probably why I get 48.
I do not recommend cutting out the peanuts. These cookies are sweet, and the salty peanuts help offset that sweetness.
Peanut Butter and M&M Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour 270 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking soda 5 ml
- 1 teaspoon salt 5 ml
- 8 oz unsalted butter 230 grams, cut into chunks
- 1 cup peanut butter smooth or crunchy (240 grams)
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200 grams
- 1 cup dark brown sugar 200 grams
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain MMs candy I usually use more
- 1 cup peanuts lightly salted
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Cream butter and both sugars using high speed of an electric mixer for 3 solid minutes. Beat in the peanut butter, followed by eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour mixture, followed by candies and peanuts.
- Scoop up by tablespoons and shape into balls. After making the cookie balls you can bake them immediately or put on a plate, cover with plastic and chill until ready to use.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and bake for about 12 minutes.