Why bake a regular cake when you can make a chocolate chip cookie cake?
Chocolate chip cookie cake recipes are easy to find, but this is my all-time favorite. You can make it as a basic cookie cake with semisweet chocolate chips or you can add M&Ms and decorate it with frosting for a more festive appearance. It’s an easy recipe, but keep in mind the dough spreads.
This recipe is baked in a 14 inch pizza pan. Here’s what it looks like Un-Baked:As you see, I lined the whole round pizza pan with nonstick foil to make it easier to remove pieces, but if you are using a new pan or one with a nonstick coating, you won’t need the foil. Make sure perimeter of the cookie dough circle is about 1 1/2 inches from the rim to allow room for spreading.
And here it is Baked!
At some point I’ll update this post and share a photo of a nicely decorated cookie cake. I guess that point will be when I learn to decorate! The good thing about cookie cake is that they are decent blank slates for learning decorating skills, so if you are not the greatest cake decorator you can throw together a cookie cake and practice piping fancy edges or writing words with icing.
M&M Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 11.25 oz weigh
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt**
- 4 oz butter preferably unsalted, 114 grams
- 1/2 cup shortening**
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar 200 grams
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 100 grams
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 bag semi sweet regular or miniature size chocolate chips 2 cups
- 1 regular size bag about 1.5 oz plain M&M’s or, if you live in the UK, smarties
- Preheat oven to 300° F. Line a large (14 inch) round pizza pan with a circle of parchment or non-stick foil.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt together; set aside.
- Cream butter, shortening and both sugars by hand or with an electric mixer. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. When well mixed, add flour mixture and stir until blended Fold in chocolate chips.
- Put all the batter in the pan and press it into a large circle. Stop the circle about 1 ½ to 2 inches from the rim. Press M&M’s decoratively into top.
- Bake on center rack for 32-35 minutes or until cookie is golden around edges and appears set.
**If you prefer not to use shortening, you can swap the shortening out for 1/2 cup of butter. In my opinion, the butter/shortening combo has a better texture.