Zucchini Walnut Bread with Agave

Last month in San Francisco, I had a great slice of zucchini bread at a restaurant called Tartine. It was dense, thick, moist, and packed with nuts and as I ate it, I made a note to try to find a good zucchini bread recipe when I got home. Making a rich, traditional style bread like Tartine’s was the plan, but then I was gifted with a big bottle of agave and decided to try something new.

You can make this bread with any brand of agave, but since Xagave mailed me a free sample of their product, I used Xagave. I liked the flavor and would definitely buy this brand again because it has the added benefit of fiber. They make it with white and blue agave and the fiber comes in the form of inulin, which is in the blue. I also like that it comes in 25 oz bottle so you don’t use it up in a day! You can also buy it in larger sizes.

But back to the bread.

zucchini bread ingredients

My loaf pan is slightly larger than the usual 9×5, so my loaf the loaf was shorter and a bit wider. I decided to cut in like a cake square rather than the usual loaf slice. The bread was cinnamony, moist, packed with walnuts and overall, very good!

zucchini bread

Zucchini Bread with Agave

3 large eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/3 cups agave (I used Xagave)
2 cups raw zucchini, peeled and grated
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9x5x4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

Combine eggs, oil, agave, zucchini, and vanilla; mix well. Mix the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda together in a second bowl. Add dry flour mixture to zucchini mixture and stir until blended. Stir in the nuts.

Pour batter into pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Comments

1. Rina says

This looks great! I might try it and add chopped dried apricots (I think the Tartine version had these, but I can’t remember :)). I scored a big bottle of Agave at Costco and was scanning the link you sent out a while back with related recipes – I will let you know if I find a winner!

That was good zucchini bread in SF! This looks like a good one, too. I’ve been liking the results with my baking almost every time I use agave!

I am all about the agave nectar right now! I love that it does not really affect the taste like other sweeteners. How was the taste of the bread?

4. gloria says

I will try this because it looks good and you have given it a thumbs up. I’ve never looked for Agave at the grocery store. I wonder if it will be difficult to find..What section would it be in? Juices? My mom is diabetic so she should be able to eat this.

I’ve still never made anything with Agave nectar, so now might be the time to try it! I love Zucchini bread and this recipe sounds really good! I especially like that you said it is cinnamony!

6. Gloria says

If I used regular unbleached flour, do you know how that would change the recipe? I don’t usually have whole wheat pastry flour around.

7. Gloria says

I couldn’t find agave nectar at the grocery store so I tried this recipe using a 12 oz jar of sugar free apricot jam, 1/2 cup of apple juice concentrate, and another almost 1/2 cup of splenda. It worked, but it could have used more sweetness. I’m guessing agave is fairly sweet..When I find agave, I’ll give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

Hi Gloria, I hope you can find agave. Your subsitution sounds innovative, but agave would probably be better. Why don’t you order the Xagave? It’s good stuff.

9. Gloria says

Thanks for the positive innovative!! The recipe must be a good one because I totally screwed it up and it still came out edible. First, no agave and I didn’t really think out the substitutions well, second when I incorporated the dry into the wet, I realized I hadn’t preheated the oven, then I tasted the batter and realized my subs didn’t give it enough sweeteness so I started mixing more stuff in. The batter was bubbling at me and I said what I usually say when I totally flub something…..
    !*%@
    and then said Oh Well, my mom can always slap some butter on it. Butter or frosting fixes a lot around here!

10. Gloria says

I now have 3 bottles of Agave! I found my own at Trader Joe’s ($3.99 for 11 oz) and then one of my friends surprised me at work with (2) 21 oz bottles for $7.70 purchased at Cosco! Excellent price..Will try this again this weekend.

11. Gloria says

Made these in a 9×13 pan and served them like cake. (They would be good in a jelly roll pan as bars too I think-frosted with a sugar free cream cheese frosting.) I only had one cup of zucchini so I used another cup of shredded carrots and they were pretty with the orange carrots and green zucchini (I didn’t peel before shredding.) These were excellent! So moist and tender. Thanks for the recipe!

12. Gloria says

Just made a no processed sugar banana walnut bread with whole wheat pastry flour, agave, and splenda for my diabetic family and friends. I can barely taste the splenda-a good thing!! If not for this recipe I would not be aware of WW pastry flour OR agave. Thanks again for the post.

13. Diane says

I just got the word on Agave too and will try this recipe but I’m going to experiment and use applesauce instead of the oil.

14. Karen says

This looks yummy! I’ll try making it tonight….I fortunately have all the ingredients!! :) You could maybe substitute pmupkin for the oil, too.

15. Rachel Barnes says

I have made this twice now, but both times added 2 ripe bananas, 1 cup blueberries, and decreased the oil and agave, and increased the baking time. It turns out very moist! thank you for showing me a healthy way to make some bread. My family loves it!