Eggnog Cheesecake

Christmas was the perfect day for making eggnog cheesecake, and this recipe was excellent. I liked it because instead of just calling for a cup or so of eggnog, it was actually made with ingredients you’d find in eggnog such as egg yolks, rum, vanilla and fresh nutmeg. After making this, I’d be reluctant to try a different version, though I’d love to play around with the crust. For this recipe, which was adapted from Kraft’s eggnog cheesecake recipe, I used a crust of Oreos and melted butter. It was delicious and I liked the eggnog/chocolate combo so much I might try it with a brownie crust. I’ll let you know how that goes, but for now here’s a great recipe for Oreo-Crusted Eggnog Cheesecake.

eggnog cheesecake

Oreo Crusted Eggnog Cheesecake

40 Oreos, crushed or ground in food processor
6 tablespoons melted butter
4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese (Philadelphia)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons rum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup whipping cream
4 large egg yolks

Mix Oreo crumbs and butter; press onto bottom and a little over halfway up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Set pan on a cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees F for 10 minutes.

Beat cream cheese, nutmeg, sugar, flour, rum and vanilla until smooth. Add eggs, 1 at a time, scraping sides of bowl after each egg. Add the whipped cream and egg yolks and stir until smooth – don’t overbeat. Pour into crust.

Bake at 325 degrees (300 F if using a black springform) F for 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until center is almost set. Run knife or metal spatula around rim of pan to loosen cake; cool before removing rim of pan. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

Before serving, garnish with fresh whipped cream (or whipped topping) and freshly grated nutmeg.

Comments

1. Louise says

How was this cheesecake received by your family and guests? It looks beautiful and I’d love to see it with a brownie crust. It’s nice that it uses eggnog components, not eggnog. One less thing I’d forget to buy at the store.

Tracie, I’m glad you discovered something new :).

Thanks Memoria.

Louise, everyone loved it and NOT everyone likes eggnog. I heartily recommend this one.

I hope I can remember this for next year. This sounds like a great Holiday dessert, and I love that it has the flavors of eggnog without requiring actual eggnog.

4. Alton says

This looks so good. But I have some left over eggnog that I was hoping I could use instead of the whipping cream. However, the ingredients call for whipping cream and the recipe says add the whipped cream. If it isnt whipped I think I could use my eggnog. Also have some Oreos from the Oreo Truffles I didn’t make!

I don’t love (or even like at all) egg nog, but I really like nutmeg and your cheesecake looks awesome! I really need to practice on cheesecakes!

I have to admit, I’m not the biggest fan of eggnog. I like the idea of it, but never love drinking it. It tastes great in cheesecake form, though. If anyone tries making it with a brownie crust, let me know. I think what you could do is use one of the small (they’re either 10 or 12 oz…I can’t remember) packets of Betty Crocker brownie mix, mix as directed but bake for about 15 minutes in the springform pan, let cool completely, then pour the cheesecake filling (in which case you might want to reduce it by about 1/4) over the brownies and bake as above. Or at least that’s how I think it would be done.

7. Gloria says

I love egg nog, but no cheese and chocolate for me! I’ll bet this would be good with a graham cracker crust too! I wonder if it would fit in a 9″ pie pan if I cut the filling in 1/2 or 1/4?

Tifa, no need to whip the cream. I did whip some extra to use as garnish, but the whipped cream in the cheesecake batter is not whipped.

9. nicole says

this sounds soooo delicious! when you bake the cheescake its self, do you put it on top of a baking sheet like you did with the crust? and should you grease or line the pan?

10. Garden Goddess says

This sounds great–and I really like that the eggnog flavor is from “scratch” instead of pre-made. But even better than a chocolate crust, how about a gingerbread crust made from gingersnaps? That or vanilla wafers. I think the chocolate might distract too much from the eggnog flavor–though, come to think of it, the ginger may as well…

11. Plainclothes Goddess says

I can’t wait to try this! I’m looking for easy-to-chew recipes: my husband has had some dental surgery and can’t chew much.

Thank you thank you thank you for this recipe! I made it for a New Year’s party last week and everyone basically started weeping in their plates. This recipe is a PERFECT balance of rich and sweet!

13. Lea says

FYI – I just made the above cheesecake for the first time as the idea of it sounded so delicious and the picture looked great. It cracked up (deep cracks) much more than any other cheesecake I’ve ever made and I’ve been making cheesecakes for a long time. With all of the eggs and yolks this seems a lot like custard. I’m sure it will taste good, but any topping with seep into the cheesecake and those cracks are going to be hard to hide.

Lea, that’s too bad! I wonder what went wrong. Is there a chance your oven was a little too hot? Just wondering since I had good luck with it and it has good reviews on Kraft.

I noticed Kraft has a note on theirs saying if you use a dark springform pan you should bake at 300. Was your pan black, by chance?

15. Jill says

@Lea – next time… try steam baking the cheesecake… and then leaving it in the oven for an hour with the oven off when it is done to let it cool more slowly. Also, make sure you don’t over beat the batter once you put the eggs in… just stir the eggs in… that’s what makes the cake crack, is the air that goes into the batter from the beating while you beat it with the eggs.

Just some hints… hope they help.