Vegan Double Chocolate Muffins

by on January 18, 2010 · 15 comments

I wanted to make more chocolate muffins yesterday, but I’d run out of eggs. It was Baking Bites to the rescue, where I found this simple recipe for a vegan (egg-free, of course) chocolate muffin which Nicole had found in a cookbook on the clearance rack of a local bookstore. With a few changes of my own, including chocolate chips instead of nuts and using regular milk in place of soy milk, I made the muffins and was very impressed. They were moist, had a pleasant wheat flour taste, and the perfect level of sweetness coming from the 1/2 cup maple syrup. And no, they did not taste maple-y at all.

vegan chocolate muffins

Since I was so happy with the muffins, I did some snooping around on Amazon to find more info on Sweet and Natural Baking, the book where Nicole found the original recipe. It seems Sweet and Natural Baking is out of print, but the author’s Los Angeles bakery is alive and well and they even have a blog with recipes.

I may have to try these double chocolate chip cookies next or maybe re-make these muffins with an actual fruit reduction instead of maple syrup.

Vegan Chocolate Muffins

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (6 oz)
1/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder (Don’t use Dutch process)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup soymilk (or regular milk)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 very generous tbsp light olive oil or vegetable oil
1/2 cup extra dark chocolate chips or vegan chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 8 muffin cups or line with paper liners.

Whisk the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.

Whisk the maple syrup, milk, vanilla and oil together in a second bowl.

Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips. Divide evenly among muffin cups and bake on center rack for 18-20 minutes.

Cool completely on a wire rack.

Makes 8 muffins

Published on January 18, 2010

Katrina January 18, 2010 at 9:04 am

Where is my Cookie Mad Anna and what have you done with her?! ;)
No, really, I love all this Muffin Madness! Eggs Schmeggs, who needs ‘em when there
seems to be so many great recipes out there without them? I recently posted some “vegan” ccc’s I made, too! And they are really good!

dani January 18, 2010 at 9:10 am

oh these look and sound so fabulous!!! gonna have to try them out next time i am craving something choclate-y :)

Martha in KS January 18, 2010 at 9:53 am

These sound sweet & delicious, but I’m noticing that many muffin recipes sound like cupcakes. What’s the difference? No icing?

Fat Fudge January 18, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I have the cookbook. I tried one recipe and it was awful! Needless to say, I have never used it again.

Lisa Ernst January 18, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Very timely recipe! This looks like a great base for chocolate muffins. I’ve yet to embark on my vegan muffin experiments, but already I have another one in mind (beyond the chocolate chip coconut). Now I want to do a peanut butter chocolate chip with bits of Newman’s Own dark chocolate peanut butter cups added. Fun!

Anna January 18, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Katrina, I need some muffin madness intervention!

Dani, let me know if you try them.

Martha, I’ve decided that a cupcake is a) frosted, has a flatter top, and is sweeter and a muffins is b) domed (hopefully!), has a less-tight crumb and is often less sweet. I’m trying to make muffins that really taste and feel like muffins rather than just cakes in disguise. Then again, I guess they’re all just little cakes.

Lisa, I love the idea of adding peanut butter chips to these and will definitely try it next time.

BTW. Happy Martin Luther King Day!! I should have mentioned it earlier.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 18, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Oh these sound fabulous!! They look delicious!

Katrina January 18, 2010 at 3:29 pm

An intervention, hmmm? I’ll come get you and we’ll head to….the cookie capitol of the world. Now, where is that? Anyone? Best cookies anywhere? I’m still sold on Levains and Jacques. That settles it, we need a trip to NYC! Sigh. Oh how I wish!

Meryl January 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Anna,
These sound great!
By the way, I sent emails to both your email addresses, but they were sent back to me. So, I guess I’ll need to use another account when I want to contact you.

Laura E. January 18, 2010 at 9:15 pm

serious eats just reviled their pick for the best chocolate chip cookie in New York!

BigSis January 19, 2010 at 7:55 am

I’m trying these! I’m in my third week of being vegan, so this is perfect timing! I have a fabulous recipe for vegan pumpkin bread, so I KNOW there is good vegan baking to be done. I did have a horrible nasty vegan disaster over the weekend with some buckwheat-hemp-flax-banana pancakes. They were green and soggy and just plain grossness. These cupcakes, however, sound delicious!

samantha January 31, 2010 at 1:58 pm

these look absolutely delicious! only question is how come you cannot use the dutch process??

Anna January 31, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Hi Samantha,

As I understand it, it has to do with the ph levels of cocoa. Dutch process has had some of its a acidity removed and with less acid, might not react as well with the other leavenings and the result might be less of a rise in the muffin. If you Google Dutch Process vs. Natural, you’ll get a more scientfic explanation, but I can tell you from personal experience using different cocoa gives you different results. One cookie where I can really see a difference is the Tex Mex Chocolate Cookies. If I use Dutch process, I get flat cookies. If I use natural, I get really puffy and fat cookies.

This recipe has both types of leavening (baking soda/neutral and baking powder/acid) so using Dutch process might not cause huge problems. However, the original recipe warned not to so I suppose the natural works better.

nags June 5, 2010 at 10:15 pm

those do look amazing :)

Shelley January 17, 2011 at 8:44 am

I’ve had to give up dairy because my breastfeeding daughter has an allergy – and I’ve been craving chocolate goodies like crazy. These muffins saved the day, gorgoeus! thankyou for sharing