July is cherry season, and we’re doing our best to take advantage of it! At one point Washington cherries were 99 cents a pound, so I’ve made our favorite cherry pie twice, tried putting fresh cherries in cobbler (good, but not as good as cherry pie) and tested a new recipe for vegan cherry muffins.
I wish I’d tried these sooner because they are some of the best muffins I’ve ever made. Amazingly, the muffins hold together without any eggs, and the interiors are moist and tender thanks to the vegan yogurt. Here’s a picture.
They taste like cherry pie in muffin form, and while the amount of almond extract might seem high, two teaspoons is just right. I admit, I didn’t even add the almonds, but between the almond extract and almond milk the muffins have plenty of flavor.
The recipe is a spin-off of the Cherry-Almond Muffins from Vegan with a Vengeance, and I’ve changed it slightly by using almond milk and coconut oil. I still can’t believe what a great texture these have and will make them again for sure — hopefully with almonds (though I think I’d put them only on the top).
- 2 cups (270 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (70 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 6 oz container soy or coconut yogurt
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- 3/4 to 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- More sugar -- granulated or coarse, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 12 muffins cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the bowl and add the oil, almond milk, yogurt and extract.
- With a heavy duty scraper, fold everything together until fully blended. Carefully fold in the cherries and nuts (if using).
- Divide batter evenly between the muffin cups and sprinkle tops with sugar.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the top comes out clean.