Carrot Coconut Bread

My mom came for a visit, so along with yesterday’s Cheerios cookies I made a batch of carrot coconut bread for her to take and share with her neighbors.

Of course we had to test it before sharing.

Carrot Coconut Bread

It wasn’t too sweet and didn’t quite cross the border into cake territory, which was a good thing since it’s a bread. Still, you could easily transform it into a dessert with a little cream cheese icing.

This one is definitely worth a try and seems to be quite popular on the Internet. The only thing I’ve noticed is some of the posted recipes don’t say to use sifted flour. In this case, it’s probably important to sift before measuring because sifted flour weighs less than unsifted and if you don’t sift you’ll be using too much flour. I sifted before measuring and got a weight of 10.5 oz flour for 2 ½ cups sifted. Unsifted flour would most likely weigh at least 11.25 oz.

Carrot Coconut Bread

Carrot Coconut Bread

3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (10.5 oz)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups shredded carrots
1 (3 1/2-oz.) can flaked coconut (1 1/3 cups)
1/2 cup raisins plus more if you like
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×5 inch metal loaf pan with flour-added cooking spray or grease and flour.

Combine beaten eggs, oil and milk in mixing bowl and set aside.

Mix together already-sifted flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to egg mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed. Stir in carrots, coconut, raisins and nuts. Pour into prepared loaf pan.

Bake at 350 for 55 to 60 minutes. Remove from pan and cool.

Comments

I make a super coconut bread and a great carrot cake. Never thought once to combine them!
    Going to try your recipe ASAP!

I just made a carrot banana bread this last weekend and it was delicious but didn’t cook well, I think I used too small of a pan. Are there different size loaf pans? It was awesome, it was sweetened with honey instead of sugar, otherwise it looks similar to this one. I LOVE coconut though!

Mmm! Did Todd and Fuzz eat this one? Oh well, I just remember you said you gave it to your mom. One of my favorite cakes is carrot!

4. Martha in KS says

I didn’t know where your mother lives, so when I first started reading this post I thought “Oh no, a visitor in the little (at least smaller than your home, I presume) apartment. Poor Anna.” I’m glad to know that she lives close enough to visit and go home. ‘-)

5. C L says

This sounds fantastic! If I couldn’t add the coconut (for allergy reasons, for instance), should I add more shredded carrots? That sort of defeats the purpose, I know, but your recipe sounds so good!. :)

This sounds really good. I love coconut and I love carrot cake, so the marriage of both sound interesting. Might have to give this a whirl.

Martha, she lives about 45 minutes away. When there’s traffic, it’s about an hour. She’s taking care of our second cat, which is nice. This place has a limit of two pets.

Chris, I don’t think the extra carrots would hurt, but I’m pretty sure if you just omitted the coconut the bread would still be good.

Patty, I hope you try it!

This looks like a great recipe to make when I am craving carrot cake (my favorite) but not wanting something too rich. Thanks for the suggestion!