Chocolate Zucchini Muffins with Greek Yogurt

Here’s another recipe using Greek yogurt. These muffins are lower in fat than most and have a some fiber from whole wheat flour, applesauce and zucchini. Too keep the muffins moist, I used a little molasses, but honey or maple syrup would probably work just as well and add a little boost of flavor in the same way the molasses did.

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (7.5 oz)
1/3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder (1 oz)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons mild molasses
1/4 cup applesauce
1 large egg
1 cup plain or vanilla non-fat Greek yogurt (I used Voskos)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1 cup grated zucchini (about 3.5 oz), peel before grating

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners. Combine flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, baking powder and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Stir, oil, molasses applesauce, egg, yogurt and vanilla together in a medium size bowl. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture, stirring only until blended. Fold in chocolate chips and zucchini. Spoon batter into lined muffin tins dividing evenly among the 12.

Put in oven and reduce heat to 375 degrees F. Bake for 20 minutes or until muffins test done. Makes 12

Comments

Looks like my kind of muffins!
    I haven’t seen whole wheat pastry flour around here either, but I may try them with my freshly ground white whole wheat. I’ll let you know.

Mmmm. They do look very moist. This is a recipe that I have to make one day. I wouldn’t need to stop my dad from eating too many b/c they are healthy enough! Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like this is a really moist muffin! I still have never tried any baked good with zucchini. Definitely bookmarking this for a future reference ;)

Yum those sound delicious! Do you think there’s a difference between normal yogurt and greek yogurt? Maybe less moist or something?

5. natalie says

I made these tonight but they needed to be a little bit sweeter. I risked getting salmonella to taste them before I baked them. ;) After I did a little taste test I added more applesauce and molasses. Did you find yours sweet enough? I certainly have a sweet tooth!

Natalie, I thought they were sweet enough, but everyone’s different when it comes to that. What really brought out the sweetness (in my opinion) was the chocolate chips. If you tasted the batter, you wouldn’t have gotten the same effect as just tasting the completed muffin with the chocolate chips. That being said, I think extra sugar would be fine! I was trying to go for a slightly healthier muffin when I made these and used less sugar.

7. Carlyn says

Just made these and they are the BEST muffins I have ever made in my lifetime (now granted, I’ve never made a chocolate muffin, so these do get an upper hand in that department) I was going to just substitute applesauce for the 1/4 cup of oil in the recipe when I remembered I had just gotten some coconut oil and wanted to use that to see if it would give the muffins a slight coco-nutty taste. OH MY GOD, SO GOOD! Chocolate coconut muffins anyone?? AMAZING!!!! I topped them off with some flaked coconut before putting them in the oven, and I had THREE just in one day! THANK YOU!

My children and I made these this weekend – so so yummy! I feel like I’m eating chocolate cake with a little less guilt. My husband loves them too.

I reposted this recipe with my comments and the nutritional analysis.

I just read the comment above this one, and I might try the coconut oil next time! I love the combination of chocolate and coconut.

I have never commented before, but I have tried many of your recipes, and I look forward to trying many more.