Inspired by the big fat peanut butter chunk cookies sold at Goofy’s Candy Company in Downtown Disney (the same place that sells German Chocolate Chip Cookies), I decided to beat the post-Spring Break blues by baking a batch of my own.
The challenge was the peanut butter chunks. Instead of peanut butter chips, the cookies had big cubes of soft, creamy, peanut butter in candy form. Thinking back to some experiments I’d done in the past, I came up with a clone.
To make peanut butter chunks, I used the same method I used a few years ago for making peanut butter ribbons. You mix peanut butter chips, peanut butter and butter, then you melt them and pour them into a little foil mold like this.
When they’ve set, you cut them into chunks.
Rather than dump the whole lot into the cookie dough, I poked each chunk into the already-scooped dough.
This batch was double peanut butter, but these would be great in double chocolate cookies too. In fact, I might make some today. I’ll let you know how they turn out.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons peanut butter chips (Reese's)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons peanut butter (I used Skippy Natural)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 2 sticks (8 oz) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup tightly packed brown sugar — (8 oz)
- 1 cup granulated sugar — (7 oz)
- 1 1/4 cups chunky or smooth peanut butter — (11 7/8 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 2/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- Make the peanut butter chunks first. Mix the peanut butter chips, peanut butter and butter in a small bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth. If chips aren’t melted, heat for another 30 seconds.
- Make a small 2x5(ish) mold with foil (see photo). Pour the peanut butter mixture into the little mold and chill it for about a half hour or until firm. Unmold the peanut butter log and cut into chunks.
- Proceed with the cookie dough. Cream butter and both sugars with an electric mixer. Beat in peanut butter, then baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs one at a time, beating on a lower speed, then beat in vanilla. By hand or using lowest speed of mixer, Stir in the flour. When flour is mixed in, stir in chocolate chunks and peanut butter chips.
- Chill the dough for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using slightly less than a quarter cup measure, scoop up balls of dough and arrange on cookie sheet a few inches apart. Stick peanut butter chunks into the already-scooped dough.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until set and brown around the edges. Remove from oven and cool on pan for about 10 minutes to set. Remove from pan and set on a rack to finish cooling.
- Makes 24 big cookies