There are hundreds of oatmeal cookie variations, but this recipe for Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies is my favorite. The measurements are easy to memorize, so over the years I’ve done just that and can now make them without looking at the recipe.
The recipe calls for a mix of chocolate chunks, dried cherries and toasted pecans, but it’s totally flexible. I sometimes use chopped up Heath bars in place of the cherries.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1 cup butter 228 grams, salted or unsalted
- 1 cup light brown sugar 190 grams
- 1 cup white sugar 190 grams
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour 360 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt increase to 1 1/2 teaspoons if using unsalted
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats 140 grams
- 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- 1 cup chopped pecans toasted
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment or have ready some non-stick cookie sheets.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar and white sugar. Stir in the egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, then stir into the creamed mixture. Stir in the rolled oats, chocolate, pecans and dried cherries. Drop by tablespoons onto the prepared cookie sheets. Alternatively, drop the dough onto plates lined with plastic wrap, then wrap the portioned dough and freeze until ready to use.
- Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from baking sheets and let cool on wire racks.