Inspired by the big fat peanut butter chunk cookies sold at Goofy’s Candy Company in Downtown Disney (the same place that sells German Chocolate Chip Cookies), I decided to beat the post-Spring Break blues by baking a batch of my own giant peanut butter cookies.
The challenge was the peanut butter chunks. Instead of chips, the cookies had big cubes of soft, creamy, peanut butter in candy form. Thinking back to some experiments I’d done in the past, I came up with a clone.
Homemade Peanut Butter Chunks
To make peanut butter chunks, I used the same method I used a few years ago for making peanut butter ribbons. You mix peanut butter chips, peanut butter and butter, then you melt them and pour them into a little foil mold like this.
When they’ve set, you cut them into pieces.
Rather than dump the whole lot into the cookie dough, I poked each one into the already-scooped dough.
Since posting this, I’ve acquired a candy mold and now use the plastic mold rather than the little foil rectangle. I believe I found the candy mold at Hobby Lobby. It’s not a very good one, unfortunately, as it broke. Looks like Amazon has some better molds.
But Back to the Cookies
You can make these giant peanut butter cookies with or without the peanut butter chunks. The recipe halves and even quarters well if you just want to try a small batch.
Super Small Batch Giant Peanut Butter Cookies
- 56 grams softened butter
- 56 grams brown sugar
- 50 grams granulated sugar
- 82 grams of peanut butter
- 24 grams of beaten egg
- Splash of vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon each of baking soda and baking powder
- 83 grams of all-purpose flour
- handful of chunks or chips
Put all ingredients except for flour and chips in a bowl. With an electric mixer, beat just until blended. Stir in the flour and the chips. Shape into 6 mounds and chill the mounds for at least an hour. To bake, you have options. I like baking at 400 for 5 minutes then reducing the heat to 350 and doing another 5 to 7. You can also bake at 375 for 12 minutes (or so). Or bake with a convection oven.
More Recipes Involving Chunks of Things
Peanut Butter Chunk Cookies
Peanut Butter Chunks:
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons peanut butter chips Reese's (70 grams)****
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons peanut butter I used Skippy Natural
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter (21 grams)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature (230 grams)
- 1 cup tightly packed brown sugar (230 gams)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- 1 1/4 cups chunky or smooth peanut butter (330 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 2/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (330 grams)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- Make the peanut butter chunks first. Mix the peanut butter chips, peanut butter and butter in a small bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth. If chips aren’t melted, heat for another 30 seconds.
- Make a small 2×5(ish) mold with foil (see photo). Pour the peanut butter mixture into the little mold and chill it for about a half hour or until firm. Unmold the peanut butter log and cut into chunks.
- Proceed with the cookie dough. Cream butter and both sugars with an electric mixer. Beat in peanut butter, then baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs one at a time, beating on a lower speed, then beat in vanilla. By hand or using lowest speed of mixer, Stir in the flour. When flour is mixed in, stir in chocolate chunks and peanut butter chips.
- Chill the dough for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using slightly less than a quarter cup measure, scoop up balls of dough and arrange on cookie sheet a few inches apart. Stick peanut butter chunks into the already-scooped dough.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until set and brown around the edges. Remove from oven and cool on pan for about 10 minutes to set. Remove from pan and set on a rack to finish cooling.
- These cookies are best when completely cool.