Packaging Cupcakes

by on April 2, 2011 · 62 comments

Happy to have another opportunity to serve them, I decided to make the delicious vanilla bean cupcakes for today’s Bake for Japan event.  But I wasn’t thinking.  This was a bake sale not a school party, and at the last minute it dawned on me that I needed to package the cupcakes individually.

vanilla bean cupcakes

Uh oh. Not wanting to spend a crazy amount of money on ready-made cupcake boxes (though they are very cute), I came up with this idea. Of course others have already had the idea and I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me until this morning, but Todd brought home a pack of clear plastic cups from the grocery store and we combined those with the treat bags to do this.

individually wrapped cupcake

The cups were Hefty Crystal Clear 9 oz and were the perfect fit for a standard size cupcake. The treat bags were a brand called “Celebrations” which we found at Michael’s, and they fit snugly around the cups holding the cupcakes.

cupcake packaging and clear cups

You just stick the cupcake in the cup, gently turn the cup on its side (it’s good to frost the cupcake in a way where there’s a rim of cake between to frosting between the paper and the frosting), slide the cupcake into the bag and tie off the end.

packaging cupcakes

Because of the big twisty tie tops, I only fit 12 cupcakes in the top level of the carrier, which I didn’t even really need to use since the cupcakes fit so securely in the Hefty cups.  I could have just thrown them all in a box!

cupcake courier

As for the bake sale, I have lots of photos to post and will share them a little later. While you might think one little bake sale wouldn’t do much, proceeds from our bake sale combined with other Bake for Japan events going on around the city and country, probably did make an impact.

Published on April 2, 2011

Lynne March 2, 2013 at 9:05 pm

What size cellophane treat bags did you use?

Anna March 3, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Hi Lynne, I think they were about 4×9.

Gail April 23, 2013 at 12:00 am

I just wanted to ask, after you packaged each cupcake, how much did you sell them for individually?

Anna April 23, 2013 at 7:44 am

Gail, I don’t remember how much we sold those for. There were a ton of baked good donations to that particular sale, so I think we sold them for a pretty low price….maybe $2.00 max?

Michelle M May 8, 2013 at 9:58 pm

This is a great idea. I am starting a cupcake business from home and been searching for weeks on how to keep the cost down. Plastic containers and boxes are so expensive!

Lynne May 16, 2013 at 11:21 am

Great idea. :) When the person receives the cupcake, how to they take it out without getting frosting all over there hand?

Anna May 16, 2013 at 11:31 am

Hi Lynne! It’s less messy than you’d think. I guess frosting usually sets a bit, so even if the frosting rubs against your finger a little, it doesn’t spread all over the place :). Good question, though.

Dottie H. May 25, 2013 at 3:20 am

Thank you… Thank you! I’m baking cookies for a fundraiser for my daughters cheerleading squad and I was searching the internet for ideas on how to package the cookies (since they need to be individually wrapped) when I came across your idea. I didn’t have either the cups or the clear treat bags (only yellow duckies), so I improvised. I used cupcakes liners, then I cut the zip off the zip-lock bags, put the cookies in the c-cake liner, put them in the bag and wrapped a bread tie (that I found in another box of bags) around it. Then I tied ribbon around the bag using the school colors red, white and blue. It just happens to be “Memorial Day” weekend as well.

Anna May 25, 2013 at 7:40 am

Nice job improvising!! I’m definitely going to try your idea since I always have Ziploc bags and cupcake liners on hand.

LisaK@FosterStories June 3, 2013 at 9:13 am

I’m “stealing” this idea to package the cupcakes we’re going to “sell” at our kitty adoption events! (Donate $1 or more and get a cupcake!) ;)

Karen October 8, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Thank you!! This is my first time baking for a bake sale and I was about to panic. I didn’t want to ruin my camouflage cupcakes, they came out so good!! Going to hit the dollar store. :)

[email protected] October 22, 2013 at 8:55 am

How do you get the cupcakes out without ruining the decoration?