Cooked Oatmeal Muffins

Most of the muffins I make are pretty sweet, but this one’s not. It’s perfect for serving with savory dishes, salads or soups; but it would also be great for breakfast topped with some good preserves.

oatmeal muffins

When I first pulled these out of the oven, I was disappointed to see the tops didn’t crown much, however the texture and flavor of the cooked oats made up for the slightly flat tops. They were so good!
This recipe is adapted from The Fanny Farmer Cookbook, but I updated it a little by using honey in place of sugar and swapping out the all-purpose flour for white whole wheat. If you don’t have those things, you can always revert back to the original recipe and use all-purpose flour and sugar in place of honey.

Cooked Oatmeal Muffins

1 1/2 cups (6 oz) white whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons honey
1 cup cooked oatmeal

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin cups thoroughly.

Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.

In a second bowl, beat together the egg, milk, butter and honey.

Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until almost fully mixed, then stir in the cooked oatmeal. Divide equally among muffin cups and bake on center rack for about 18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

Makes 12 muffins

Comments

Hi Anna–if I were to substitute the sugar back in for the honey, would it be 2 tablespoons of sugar as well?

Thanks for what look to be yummy muffins for my breakfast this weekend!

2. Katherine says

These are so good! To me there are a nice healthy alternative to a biscuit. They would be great with strawberries and honey drizzled on top. I followed your recipe with the white whole wheat flour and honey. This is recipe is a keeper. Thanks Anna!

Hi Katherine! Thanks for posting a review. I thought they were good, but it always helps to have a second opinion.

This looks like breakfast tomorrow. Would it be okay to use regular whole flour? Thank-you for the recipe!

the ones in the photo look like cute minis — are they?
    So if it makes 12 regular sized ones, would you say it makes about 36 mini ones?
    Hope you’re having fun in the south! :)

I love this recipe! I wrote a post on my blog about it :) I learned once that if the oil/butter you add to the batter is warm (warmer than room temperature) the muffins will end up “flat”. Sometimes I like them like that, but otherwise I just melt the butter until it’s creamy, or I put the batter in the fridge before I put on the oven.. and usually that is enough time.. when the oven is warm, the batter is “cold” enough..