Brownies Made with Cheddar Cheese Soup

It’s more fun than practical, but you really can make brownies with cheddar cheese soup. I tried it yesterday using the Saucepan Brownies recipe from Campbell’s Creative Cooking with Soup, a book I’ve had for 20 years. How I skipped this recipe for two decades is baffling because I go through this book all the time. I guess I’ve been mentally writing the dessert section off, but I’m glad I finally tried this one because in a post-apocalyptic kitchen where all Ive managed to save includes a case of cheddar soup and some chocolate chips, it would be a real life saver.

saucepan brownies

The brownies were okay — not great, but not bad either and the soup was undetectable. The brownies were dense, but not too rich and needed something to liven up the texture, which is why I’d recommend throwing in some extra chocolate chips before baking. Since I didn’t known they’d need extra chips, I just melted some extra and drizzled them on at the end.

This is a half batch version using an 8 inch square pan. If you’re taking these to a party and want more, double the recipe below and use a 13×9 inch pan. If you don’t like fractions or just don’t believe that this recipe really exists, here’s a link to where someone posted it on a Campbell’s Cooking Bulletin Board. See! I’m not kidding! But here’s the half-batch version. I also tried the butterscotch variation (see below), which had a good flavor but a weird mealy texture.

I’m going to eat one again today and am not throwing them out, so I didn’t find them bad enough for the trash can, which is more than I can say for a lot of other cookies.

Saucepan Brownies

2 oz (4 tablespoons) butter (salted or unsalted)
1 cup (6 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 of a can (about 51/2 oz) of cheddar cheese soup — not the nacho flavored type!
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup (3.4 oz) all-purpose flour, sift or fluff up and measure lightly
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
Optional: An extra ½ cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square pan with non-stick foil.

In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and add the chips. Stir until they’re melted. Remove from heat and stir in sugar, then stir in the soup. Stir in the already beaten egg, then stir in the baking powder and the flour. Add the nuts (and extra chocolate chips, if using), then scrape into the pan. Bake for 24-26 minutes or until brownies appear set. Let cool completely then chill thoroughly.

When cold, lift from pan and cut into 16 squares.

Variations
Use butterscotch chips in place of chocolate chips, brown sugar in place of sugar and coconut instead of walnuts.
Use white chips for chocolate chips, light corn syrup instead of sugar and pistachios instead of walnuts.

Comments

I agree with Lisa! You’re a brave woman. And hey! That nacho cheddar soup might not be so bad in the brownies. They might be sort of Tex Mex brownies with the added seasonings. No…. I’m not trying it first. :-) If I have that soup and a bag of chocolate chips after the apocolypse I’ll give it a try.

Glad they weren’t trash can material, at least. This is an interesting looking recipe, although I admit I probably won’t try it. I’m reminded of Paula Deen’s Velveeta fudge, which sounds crazy, but some people seem to really like.

3. Carolyn says

Can’t say that I’ll try this, but it’s great to see a recipe that doesn’t take itself too seriously!

I can see it. I find that whenever I eat a lot of chocolate for some reason or another I have a craving for cheese and vice versa (maybe that’s just me). But I can’t say I’ve ever had or heard of cheddar cheese soup … and this is something you can get in a CAN!?

Adam, it’s a pretty common flavor here in the states. I think people might use it in casseroles. And yes, it’s in a can.

Carolyn, whatever test kitchen people came up with this sure know how to have a good time…

Lisa, I wasn’t very impressed with Velveeta fudge.

Angela, thanks for the book idea.

Cookie Sleuth, my husband hates cheddar cheese and liked the brownies.

Dawn, I’m sure you could put a good spin on it.

Sue, being from Texas I’d be more likely to try a version with a bowl of leftover queso.

I just had to come here and read about these. I don’t think I would have had the guts to try these, so I’ll just experience them vicariously. :-)

This is the kind of thing I’d love to make for a friend of ours and not tell him what’s inside, even my husband would be fun to do that to. I never buy that cheese soup though.

8. T. Martin says

Anna,

I am glad I have you as a friend to try out these sorts of recipes. In addition to the spinach brownies and the tomato soup cakes these types of recipes remain in my “that’s interesting” column but ones I am unlikely to ever actually try.

I too thought of Velveeta fudge when I saw this! This strikes me as one of those recipes that’s fun to make because it’s a little wacky and you’re curious about how it will turn out. However, it puzzles me as to why marketers think people really need or want a recipe for brownies made from cheese soup! It doesn’t look like it’s any easier than your typical brownie recipe and from your review, it doesn’t necessarily sound better either. I give you kudos for trying this, but really, what were they thinking!

I wonder if tomato soup would also work, given the popularity of the infamous ‘tomato soup cake.’ I know they make ‘plain’ cheddar soup, but the version that sprung to mind was broccoli and cheddar soup, although I suppose if you used that, it would have given a crunchy texture to the brownies ;) This post made me think of a cookbook that I love, the ‘Back of the Box’ gourmet, which is a compilation of some really great recipes from the back of popular foods like Chex and Heinz ketchup…and some not-so-great ones thrown in for fun…

Kudos for trying this one….I never would have even read it, let alone try it. Makes you wonder what other gems may be lurking in that cookbook!

12. Janice says

Right up there with Velveeta fudge (which was a mainstay of my childhood), sauerkraut, beet, tomato soup or mayonnaise cakes.
    IIRC the Campbell’s book also has a recipe for Beef SOUPiyaki that served as my first introduction to “Asian” cuisine.
    Sort of Norman Rockwell America in a recipe;-)
    Happy Holidays Anna!!!!

13. Janice says

Anna,
    That fudge goes in every holiday gift bag!! It’s so much easier than my fav. which is the Hershey’s (soft ball; UGH!) recipe~and people like it better;-))