Just when you think you’ve tried every banana bread recipe in the book, along comes this one from The Fairmont Hotel. Carolyn from Canada has been making it for years, and wanted to share it because it’s a little bit different.
What’s unique about this banana bread is that it’s baked at a very low temperature for 2 1/2 hours. It also calls for more baking soda than other recipes (a lot more) and instead of adding the flour alternately with the milk, you add the flour alternately with the eggs.
So what happens when you bake at a low temperature, use a lot of baking soda and add very little air to the batter? You get a really dense, sturdy, but moist banana bread that slices neatly and is great toasted. Another interesting change that occurs is the color. The bread appears to have cocoa powder or brown sugar in it, but the brown color is most likely due to the reaction of the baking soda.
Thanks to Carolyn for sharing this recipe. If you try it, make sure to really grease and flour the pan.
- 2 large (8 oz total) bananas
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) of granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla (optional)
- 1/4 cup toasted and chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8 ½ x4 inch loaf pan , line with parchment paper and grease the parchment. This is important, because the loaf is rather sticky!
- In a blender, puree the bananas, sugar and baking soda.
- Empty banana mixture into a mixing bowl. Mix in the eggs and the flour alternately, stirring until well blended.
- Mix in the oil, buttermilk and salt, beating with a spoon until blended and smooth. Add the vanilla (if using) and the nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 2.5 hours. Let cool completely, then carefully remove from the pan.
Make sure to really grease and flour the pan well, as this bread is sticky! I used foil and nonstick spray, and still had some stickiness.